Bunya/ Sassafras Parlor

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Pappy Green
Beefwood

Bunya/ Sassafras Parlor

Post by Pappy Green » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:53 pm

Hi,
here is my first home built. A parlor with Bunya top, Sassafras B&S, QLD Maple neck, Ebony binding (very hard for a newbie to get on - not recommended for a first build), Mulga fretboard and bridge. 24.9 scale, 13 fret. My thanks to Alan the Ozzie Blues man for his support and encouragement. Onto my next one (or two)
Brett
Attachments
IMG_0077_1.jpg
IMG_0089_1.jpg
IMG_0078_1.jpg

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Bunya/ Sassafras Parlor

Post by Allen » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:01 pm

I love the body style on that Brett. Very late 1800's early 1900's parlor look about it. And it's a great accomplishment, especially for a first. Not an easy task to pull off.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:59 pm

A great little guitar Brett. Look forward to having a play on it over the weekend. It is a certainly an achievement for your first go at building an acoustic on your own. Two more on the work bench :lol: guess who is hooked on this great hobby.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Nice job Brett. Great looking guitar. I am building with the same wood combination at the moment so I was very interested to see how it looks - and it is a very nice combination. I know what you mean about bending ebony bindings. I snapped plenty of them on my last build and I am not keen to try it again. Rosewood for my one this time. What finish did you use? What about plans for that style - did you use a commercially available set?
cheers
Mark

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Post by Daniel_M » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:37 pm

Congratulations Brett! It is a great looking little guitar -you should be very proud. I particularly like you headstock shape. :cl :cl :cl

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:30 am

Well ain't she a pretty little thing :) I like the shape you have there Brett, as Allen said, it reminds me alot of the earlier parlor shapes. Any shots of the rear? Blackwood's my favourite but Sassafras is up there for beauty.
You were game to go with Ebony bindings on your first & it's a credit to you that you've pulled it off. :cl :cl :cl :cl
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Pappy Green
Beefwood

Post by Pappy Green » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:33 pm

Thanks all for your kind words. I think the extra fret (13 to the body) makes the body look longer and now that you have pointed it out it does look like one of those older styles. Can I take credit for that accident :?:
I used the Scott Antes plan. Only have a hard copy unfortunately. It is available at LMI. Just found it on a Google search. (http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/thirdproduc ... cott+Antes )
As for the ebony bindings, ignorance is supposed to be bliss. I only chose it because it would look nice and accentuate the Sassafras; it sure does but I had no idea how hard it would be. Thanks to my guardian angel Allan for his tips. I have added some shots of the back. I first saw this wood at Chris Wynne's (Thomas Lloyd Guitars) in Eltham and fell for it. Love Blackwood too but Sassafras is so nice to look at. And the kids think its a cool name to boot :lol:
Attachments
IMG_0086-1.jpg
IMG_0083_1.jpg
IMG_0080-1.jpg

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:31 pm

I had the chance to have a play this little guitar over the weekend. Great sound, nicely balanced bass, mid and treble response with good volume. The light guage strings suit this guitar imo and Brett has set it up a treat! This is the very first time I have played a 13 fret to the body acoustic and I like the feel and extra access when playing around the 12 fret.

Great job mate!

:cl

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 pm

Nice work Pappy, the shape is close to my circa 1890'2 Wisconsin made parlour except your waist is a little lower and shoulders slightly squarer.

Jim

Life is good when you are amongst the wood
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Good effort Brett, she's a lovely little guitar. Nice bit of sassafras too, its unique wood and sure to draw interest when ever she's bought out to play.

Cheers

Kim

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Nice work there Brett, :cl How Does that Sass go with bending ?

Tod
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Pappy Green
Beefwood

Post by Pappy Green » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Hey Tod it is a very easy wood to bend and work in general. Good for first timers.