OO Acoustic Guitar

A place where you can let us see your finished instruments in all their glory.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

OO Acoustic Guitar

Post by ozziebluesman » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:33 am

Hello to all my friends.

The lattice braced guitar has finally been strung up and singing nicely. Here is a link to a demo on youtube of the guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm3zbWIEmLA

I am extremely happy how the instrument has turned out. Many thanks to my fellow guitar builder and friend Wayne McPhee in Melbourne for his suggestion to try a lower bout lattice bracing design a few years ago. Wayne said first job Al, is to thickness the top to 2 to 2.2mm? I was very hesitant about that request. None of my Martin plans go that thin??? I was surprised that the top remained stiff at 2mm thickness. The top used was King Billy Pine which I had never had experience with before. Many thanks to my friend Kim in Daylesford Victoria for sending me up a few tops to try. It is a beautiful wood and is very fine grained. Over two years the guitar evolved. I used a Trevor Gore active back on the build. It is a fantastic design.
There are a few finished pictures on the workbench for you.
Thanks for looking in. Cheers Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: OO Acoustic Guitar

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:47 pm

Well done Al. Great to see it finished. Sounds great looks great.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:49 pm

Nice work Al......and nice chops as well!
Martin

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:59 am

Alan I missed out on replying to your post in August 2022. Unfortunately, for a number of months I could not login to the forum due to a password problem that I had. Eventually, I was able to contact Martin and my problem solved.

I did enjoy listening to your youtube of the guitar build and the sound samples. It was interesting to see what you have achieved with the lattice style design inclusion. I've often thought about trying a double 'X' style lattice bracing bracing on a guitar build.

Great result.

Wayne

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:06 pm

Thanks Wayne,
I'm convinced now the lattice is the way to go.
I have finished building a OM with that bracing design sanding a finishing the guitar now.
There was another small parlour size guitar I built with the lattice and I have recorded it as well.
If you would like to go to Hamley Fine Guitars in Facebook the demos are all on there just uploaded a few weeks ago.
If you prefer to stay away from Facebook send me a contact email address and I can upload the demos to a cloud so you can have a listen.
Cheers Alan

Alan Hamley

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:01 pm

Thanks Alan, I was able to watch the video of the OM guitar on your Facebook channel. It certainly has good volume range. It was interesting to see how you were able to find a suitable slab of western red cedar for the guitar top from Bunnings.

Wayne

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:53 pm

Hi Wayne,
I work one day a week up here teaching guitar building. I was doing more hours but a health issue got in the way.
It is a big shop that has furniture making, wood for sale, tonewood for sale. Check out Studio Dubbeld, Townsville.
There was a piece at the shop I spotted it was 50mm x 200 x 500mm. I sliced it and got two small guitar tops and a tenor Ukulele top from the piece. Unfortunately there was a big knot shadow otherwise I would have scored more. So that was how I scored the top. The boss said the WRC come from Bunnings for a fence project and I just happened to see this piece and it was dead on 1/4 sawn. So luck mate! When I tapped the tops I thought Xmas had come early.
Cheers

Alan

Alan Hamley

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:04 pm

Hi Al and everyone, if this post appears I will be surprised, it's been a hell of a long time between drinks, I mean posts.

I'm here at the suggestion of Allan, having just visited him the other week. It's usually a long time between visits but this time we vowed to do it more often.

Anyway, whilst visiting I was able to hear and play the fine guitars mentioned above, and they are truly great instruments, the sound and quality of the work are to be commended. I will not go on too long in case this does not show up.
Thanks for the time we spent together, I needed that shot in the arm.
Cheers Taff
Taff

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:13 pm

About time you popped in Taff....what have you been up to of late? When are you next down to Adelaide for a visit?
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:58 am

G'day Taffy,

Looks like you are still a member. Good to see you the other day mate. It has been a long time alright.

Martin, I said to Taffy to watch this space. So we are both watching. Keep the intrigue going.

Cheers

Alan

Alan Hamley