Guitar Neck Angle Sanding Jig

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Guitar Neck Angle Sanding Jig

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:32 pm

Recently, I decided to make my own Guitar Neck Angle Sanding Jig that attaches to my 'JET' belt sander. This jig is similar to the 'ELEVATE' jig that can attached to a belt sanders. Mounting the "ELEVATE' jig to a belt sander requires some additional attachment modification to mount it onto the belt sander. In my situation the 'JET' belt sander has a mounting plate that can be used to attach other types of jigs.

I already had some scrape 6mm thick aluminum plate and soon realised that all I needed to purchase was two mounting clamps from 'Timbercon' Melbourne and two T-Track knobs from Bunnings. To make the this jig I had to also tap threads into the aluminum plate for screwing on the control knobs. See photo attachments.

Using this sanding jig is a very helpful way to more accurately set the guitar neck and then make a Mortise / Tennon bolt on joint to the guitar body.

Wayne
NAJ01.jpg
NAJ02.jpg
NAJ03.jpg

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Re: Guitar Neck Angle Sanding Jig

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:29 pm

Hi Wayne, wow that's a really classy, professional-looking system you have there. Much more refined than the one I developed and have used for the last 10 years.

It works much the same as you describe. I use two locating pins that fit into the rod slot of the neck. To adjust the angle I rotate the sanding bed assembly up or down by adjusting the threaded post that it sits on.
1-SAM_0649.JPG
3-SAM_0652.JPG
4-SAM_0653.JPG
Taff
Taff