Binding bearings

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Peto
Beefwood

Binding bearings

Post by Peto » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:32 pm

Hello,
I decided to try cutting the channels using a couple of small routers that I have.
I had the router bits and the bearing system for years but I always ended up cutting them by hand.
This time I decided to persevere so I fit the routers with the cutters I have and I seem to be missing the correct bearing size. I used the 28.5 mm and the other is the 22 mm and this one is too small which makes the channel too big.
I hope I am making sense. in a nutshell, do you know if those bearing are available in different sizes so I can buy the one I need or do I need to buy the whole kit, which is if you don't mind me saying it is ridiculously expensive?

Thanks in advance,
Ric

asgilbert
Blackwood

Re: Binding bearings

Post by asgilbert » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi Ric,
Was concerned about the cost myself, did some research and found what was readily available in Perth WA. Then went to the local bearing supplier and bought the closest bearing to the size required. The 2mm step was easy as the 22mm cutter and 18mm outer dia of bearing was easy to get. For the purfling it was a bit more difficult. But ended up buying a smaller bearing and turning up a bush to go over the undersize bearing and glued it in place. That has fixed the issue as all parts are now standard but you will need a bush made for the particular size you settle on.
Hope this makes sense. Else ask question. Oh BTW it came out less than half price (But I do have a workshop)

Peto
Beefwood

Post by Peto » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:59 pm

Hmmm...that is why I need a metal lathe :)
I have just found this:
Search on eBay for "2pcs 1/2" Height with 6 Bearings Rabbet Router Bit & Bearing Set 1/4" Shank set" AU $21.59 you get a full set 10 times cheaper compared with what I found from well-known luthier suppliers.
Thanks for your advise,

Ric

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:17 pm

On occasions when I haven't had the correct sized bearing Ive taken the next size down and carefully wrapped a layer or two of tape around outside of the bearing to increase diameter a tad...worked for me
Martin

Peto
Beefwood

Post by Peto » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:06 am

Yes, I thought of wrapping something in the absence of a proper bush, maybe aluminum, but if the tape worked for you that seems like the easiest alternative.
Ric

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:49 pm

I have made a small bearing into a bigger one by cutting a donut shaped disk out of a MDF sheet. The hole in the centre of the MDF donut is the size of the bearing ring that you currently have, and the outer diameter of the donut is the size you want. Or to put it another way it is like the MDF ring is a tyre and the bearing is the hub. If you make it a tight fit it will just stay on by friction, or you can attach it with a bit of CA or 5-minute epoxy.

Peto
Beefwood

Post by Peto » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks Mark, I found this and for $24 and it had enough size combinations to solve my problem. I don't really understand the price discrepancy here. Buying it from a luthier supply shop it costs 10 times more. This set for $24 is Australian stock so it arrived in a few days.
If you search this on eBay you will find several suppliers:

2pcs 1/2" Height with 6 Bearings Rabbet Router Bit & Bearing Set 1/4" Shank set

I am still scratching my head regarding these prices. I used it several times, so far the bit is still sharp and the bearings are still spinning :)

Ric

ka_who
Wandoo

Post by ka_who » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:30 am

I'm shooting from the hip here, but I guess a 3d printed ring probably a very easy, cheap and quick way to make the small being bigger. if you want, I can print some for you.

Peto
Beefwood

Post by Peto » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:40 am

Thanks for the offer, but I am all set now, I bought this set for $24 that gives me all the combinations I need for binding and purfling.
Again, thanks for offering.
Ric