Fret Clamping Pliers

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Joseph Jones
Myrtle

Fret Clamping Pliers

Post by Joseph Jones » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:56 pm

Hi all,
Seen this on Pinterest and thought I’d share.
8AEFE796-3EF0-4F9D-A964-669580AE9C8F.jpeg
8AEFE796-3EF0-4F9D-A964-669580AE9C8F.jpeg (70.53 KiB) Viewed 14098 times
Looks like it’d only be beneficial with the fretboard off the neck and not the way they’ve got it...

Joseph
The stone is hard and the drop is small but a hole is made by the constant fall.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Fret Clamping Pliers

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:10 am

Interesting idea - thanks for passing it on. My guess is that is is designed for fretting or refretting on the neck because the lower jaw has that curved block to fit the neck shape. But my neck profile changes along the length of the neck so maybe the wood block on the bottom jaw would need to be changed accordingly. Also, it obviously can't go to the high end of the neck where the heel will get in the way, or to the frets over the body. Maybe I am unsophisticated, or missing something - but I have never felt the need for any other method than just hammering them in. I ask out of ignorance - is pressing definitely better than hammering?

Joseph Jones
Myrtle

Re: Fret Clamping Pliers

Post by Joseph Jones » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:11 pm

I’ve been told it makes for less fret leveling. Before the fretboard is on the neck If you fret with a flat foot and tune the mechanism to just right they’ll all be the same.
Makes perfect sense to me so I’ll keep doing it till I find something better....

Joseph
The stone is hard and the drop is small but a hole is made by the constant fall.