Jet/Performax 10 - 20 drum sander again

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

timbuck
Myrtle

Jet/Performax 10 - 20 drum sander again

Post by timbuck » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:10 pm

Another Jet/Performax 10-20 bites the dust, same old problem :( this time in the US..I just got another enquiry about a repair kit...More on it here http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/sho ... 0+problems Please note*** I don't do this service for profit, it's just to help out fellow 10-20 owners ;)

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Jet/Performax 10 - 20 drum sander again

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:43 am

Nice fix Ken :cl :cl Most machine tools use a split nut on leadscrews to handle just such the problem you encountered with the 'loose' thread and elegant fix. Because they are a high wear item you need some form of adjustment to eliminate wear/backlash.
Classic example for everybody of why you should keep a little bit of grease up to threads, galling of the thread is the biggest killer of tapped aluminium threads, it only needs the tiniest of aluminium or other 'solid' particle to pick up and it begins to bugger the whole thread.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Hi All,

Ken kindly did a kit for me about 2 years ago, it's huge improvement on what it was before it even broke, much smoother.

a tip top solution to a problem nearly all 10-20 owners will face sooner or later.

Thanks Ken!.
Paul .

timbuck
Myrtle

Post by timbuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:46 am

Another one broke down :( ..This time in the USA ... Repairs are now underway :)

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:27 am

Hi All,

If you have a 10-20 , I strongly suggest you order the Mod Kit from Ken and do it before it goes and leaves you stuck, Ken Kindly did mine super fast , But that still left me without a sander for a few weeks, it's a fantastic fix and is much smoother than the Original.

Cheers,
Paul .

timbuck
Myrtle

Post by timbuck » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:06 am

Another one broke down same fault , this time in Japan ...Another repair kit one the way.

pryseguitars
Gidgee

Post by pryseguitars » Sun May 15, 2016 9:08 am

I just bought myself one of these second hand. Can someone tell me what the actual problem part is? I haven't had a chance to use it yet but don't want it to break when I do. Thanks.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun May 15, 2016 5:55 pm

pryseguitars wrote:I just bought myself one of these second hand. Can someone tell me what the actual problem part is? I haven't had a chance to use it yet but don't want it to break when I do. Thanks.
Explained in the link contained in the first post: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/sho ... 0+problems
Martin

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Post by Kim Strode » Tue May 17, 2016 4:58 pm

My 10-20 Performax Drum Sander died a few weeks ago with the same problem. Unfortunately emails to 'timbuck' in the UK are un-answered, so I'll need to talk to an engineering firm in Ballarat to see if I can get a reasonably priced repair.
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

timbuck
Myrtle

Post by timbuck » Wed May 25, 2016 6:23 am

I have received these Emails and answered them ..But they don't seem to have got through .. I can give you my Email address timmsken@hotmail.com and then may be we can connect.

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:55 pm

My 10-20 "died" on Tuesday. An e-mail to Ken on Tuesday night, a quick strip down of the machine on Wednesday to send the spindle to Ken, the arrival of the repair kit on Friday and this morning it's fitted and I'm back up and running with the new and improved 10-20. That's what I call service !!

Ken - you are a scholar and a gentleman :cl
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Post by Kim Strode » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:44 pm

After contacting Ken less than a month ago I now have my Performax 10/20 Drum sander re assembled and running again. Ken matched his replacement parts to my spindle thread and machined new parts. Ken's generosity in making these parts to assist fellow luthiers keep their sanders going longer is greatly appreciated by myself as well as the others he has assisted. Ken is a real star.
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

mqbernardo
Myrtle

Post by mqbernardo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:22 am

I also should thank Ken for saving my 10-20. He even shoot a video so that if you're dumb like me, there's still little chance you screw up. Not that I didn't try...

Thanks ken, your work should be lauded.

Best,
Miguel.

timbuck
Myrtle

Post by timbuck » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:43 am

Nick wrote:
Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:43 am
Nice fix Ken :cl :cl Most machine tools use a split nut on leadscrews to handle just such the problem you encountered with the 'loose' thread and elegant fix. Because they are a high wear item you need some form of adjustment to eliminate wear/backlash.
Classic example for everybody of why you should keep a little bit of grease up to threads, galling of the thread is the biggest killer of tapped aluminium threads, it only needs the tiniest of aluminium or other 'solid' particle to pick up and it begins to bugger the whole thread.
Here's a video I made ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsmnY8dCODA