Correcting/stopping Neck warp?

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ernzo
Gidgee

Correcting/stopping Neck warp?

Post by ernzo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Hi there, knowing that you are all wise about guitars, maybe you could answer me a little question... :)

I have this Clasical guitar whose neck is getting warped.. (Prudencio Saez 50, cedar top, cutaway, 650mm scale)

At this point, i still can play it perfectly, and it's still in tune (thanx to nut and saddle replacements and leveling), but if it goes further like this, i guess it will get to the point it becomes unplayable...

-So, is there any external method to correct neck warping? Or to Stop it?

(something like external bracers that you hook on the backside of the neck, and make gradual multipoint measured back-forces on the nut end... :roll: )

-If not, is it really possible to install a trussrod to that guitar?
I have seen videos on how to detach the fretboard from the neck, with the use of heat and a sharp blade, and that looks fine to me..

Problem is, how do i drill a trussrod hole that covers the whole neck thing, having the end hole inside of the guitar body? (if that is necesary..)

Is it possible to do it, without taking the top off?

Will a drill like this one suffice? (albeit smaller)

http://www.bricolandia.es/wp-content/up ... -28492.jpg

Thanks in advanced

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Correcting/stopping Neck warp?

Post by 56nortondomy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Truss rod slots are done with a router when building the neck, not sure how your going to do it with a drill. Maybe you could hand carve a slot and install some carbon fibre to stiffen the neck, that would eliminate trying to have access inside the guitar for a truss rod.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Sounds like the guitar needs a neck reset. Unfortunately with a classical built spanish method it requires taking the back off so adjustments can be made to the spanish foot.
Martin

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:49 am

Heat and clamps
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:06 am

ernzo wrote:Hi there, knowing that you are all wise about guitars, maybe you could answer me a little question... :)
I have this Clasical guitar whose neck is getting warped.. (Prudencio Saez 50, cedar top, cutaway, 650mm scale)
At this point, i still can play it perfectly, and it's still in tune (thanx to nut and saddle replacements and leveling), but if it goes further like this, i guess it will get to the point it becomes unplayable...

First lets identify, what is warping, is the neck itself twisting, example bass strings have a higher side than treble strings and vice versa as you move up and down the fretboard, or are you referring to a lot of bow (relief) happening over the neck, each requires a different repair process.

Removing and refitting a fretboard is not for the faint hearted, putting a truss rod into a classical involves removing the fretboard cutting a channel along the fretboard and into the top of the guitar and then drilling a hole through a main brace, then inserting a truss rod and re-installing the fretboard and then more than likely having to refret the instrument as well.

Again not something to be taken lightly
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html