The way I do it: Neck carving

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

The way I do it: Neck carving

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:54 am

Just thought I'd share this low tech method of supporting a neck for carving, one of the ways I do it anyway.

The fixture that holds the peghead I found in my "will use it one day stash drawer" plus a length of threaded rod. Pics tell the story.
Thanks for looking.
1-DSCF6045.JPG
1-DSCF6045.JPG (92.68 KiB) Viewed 27692 times
2-DSCF6047.JPG
2-DSCF6047.JPG (88.96 KiB) Viewed 27692 times
3-DSCF6046.JPG
3-DSCF6046.JPG (95.88 KiB) Viewed 27692 times
Taff

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: The way I do it: Neck carving

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:44 pm

It's a "Taffo-stand"!
Martin

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:21 am

I like it Taffy...Thanks for posting!

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:21 pm

Me Likes Also :D

I Also have a "will use it one day stash drawer" but my draw didn't have those parts in it :(
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 am

C T
Cool Tool
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:53 am

I've not long ago bought the same file! Great, aren't they. Although I feel mine is not quite as sharp as it was a few months ago when new.

The neck carving idea is basically the same as how I do it, however I dont feel I need the head support and it's never been an issue.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:26 pm

From the camera angle Steve, it almost looks like your using the vernier as a neck rest/support :shock: :lol: :lol:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Clever solution guys 8)

A number of years back I managed to pick up what I think may be a Sthil made chainsaw service vice from ebay for a song. As you can see from the following images that were taken back in 2006, I fitted a quick and dirty narrow cork faced clamping block to it which I use to clamp the FB surface of the neck to for carving, or sometimes repair work. I'm sure I could come up with something better as a clamping platen however the manoeuvrability of the vice makes the job easy enough how things are so its difficult to find the motivation to change.

If you see one of these things for sale my advise is to 'ad-vice' to your kit. They are a superbly built tool and the only way I can imagine you could damage one would be to melt the bloody thing. 8)
top.jpg
top.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 27080 times
underside.jpg
underside.jpg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 27080 times
righttilt.jpg
righttilt.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 27080 times
lefttilt.jpg
demonx wrote:I've not long ago bought the same file! Great, aren't they. Although I feel mine is not quite as sharp as it was a few months ago when new.
File card or wire brush and then suspend the rasp in cheap white vinegar will re-sharpen it. If 'very' dull, or old and rusty, the process can take a day or so, but for a general sharpen it can be ready to go in as little as a few hours. It just depends on how bad things were when you started. The rasp/file will be black when removed from the vinegar. Just hose off with fresh water then blow it dry and brush/card clean and it will come up like or better than new. As the tool will now be perfectly clean battleship grey steel, it's a good idea to wrap it in newspaper until ready for use.

Two things,

1. Do not forget about the tool leaving it soaking in the vinegar or it can be ruined.

2. Keep the used vinegar for your chips..............OK don't do that. But you can keep using the same vinegar for future sharpening, just decant into a clean plastic bottle and put it away until needed.

Cheers

Kim

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:01 pm

"1. Do not forget about the tool leaving it soaking in the vinegar or it can be ruined."

What the vinegar or the tool?
Bruce Mc.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:36 pm

Kim wrote: File card or wire brush and then suspend the rasp in cheap white vinegar will re-sharpen it. If 'very' dull, or old and rusty, the process can take a day or so, but for a general sharpen it can be ready to go in as little as a few hours. It just depends on how bad things were when you started. The rasp/file will be black when removed from the vinegar. Just hose off with fresh water then blow it dry and brush/card clean and it will come up like or better than new. As the tool will now be perfectly clean battleship grey steel, it's a good idea to wrap it in newspaper until ready for use.

Kim
I may have to try this! Will experiment on older rasps first before dipping handmade ones.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:18 pm

File not as sharp as...........

Iv'e had mine for over a year I think and still sharp as when new, only 5 - 6 necks tho. and it's not the only rasp I use. Its possibly too sharp I think, so that's why I go down to a finer rasp. Maybe you've done more necks than mine.
Taff

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm

Taffy Evans wrote:File not as sharp as...........

Iv'e had mine for over a year I think and still sharp as when new, only 5 - 6 necks tho. and it's not the only rasp I use. Its possibly too sharp I think, so that's why I go down to a finer rasp. Maybe you've done more necks than mine.
It's probably done about eight necks, a couple Wenge necks (African Rosewood, very hard timber) some maple and QLD maple necks - but then I also use a rasp for various body carves, neck to heel joints, rear comfort curves as well as headstock shaping etc.

I use the rasp as one of my main tools hense why I have to replace them every now and then. First time I've bought a Dragon rasp. Best I've ever used so far. Think next time I'l try the liogier ones just for a comparison. Before the Dragon I was using cheap hardware shop rasps and before that a very old hand me down from my grandfather which is as blunt as a butter knife!

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 pm

hmm i would like one of those rasps - what is it called? where do you get em?

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:02 am

Hi, I got mine from Stumac.
Cheers.
Taff