Guitar Troji

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Guitar Troji

Post by Rod True » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:14 am

Hey folks, I wanted to post a link here for our buddy Serge on the guitar troji thread I started on the OLF. Just finished making one of these Serge, don't know if your interested at all or not. :)

"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:44 am

Hi Rod, I just saw it over on OLF, but I'm going to say THANK YOU! here instead to get some more action here...

I agree with you that being able to move the thing around and working around it from all sides must be a big plus. I'm building one! (Well, as soon as I get back into the work shop that is; yesterday I poured a new concrete floor in my basement, and I want to finish that work before I get back to guitars).
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:44 am

Great work Rod, thank you for the effort.

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:42 pm

Rod, do you think it was worth the time and effort you put into it?

It looks really cool and like it would save you a lot of headache and heartache, but.... looks can be deceiving.

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Those Troji's are very nice! I use this guitar holder on the side of my bench. I wish I had room for one of those Rod! How study is it when sanding or scraping or whatever on it ?
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:49 pm

Lillian, I have been without a guitar vise of any sort for the past 5 years now. Having built 4 guitars without one, wedging the body against a wall to scrap the bindings or to try and sand the sides, let me say that I never want to do it again and I feel that the time spent both making the guitar troji and doing the instruction package was worth while. Yes it looks good but for me function always has to come before fashion and this guitar vise sure holds the guitar well, it is very sturdy. If I were to build the vise again based on my instructions and plans, I think I would be able to get it all done in about 2-3 hours.

Dave, believe it or not, I don't have any good space to build that style of guitar vise. My shop is very small but I have storage space for this vise under my go bar bench which is in a corner of my shop and would only allow me to work on the guitar from one side if I used a vise like yours. I thought an awful lot about the guitar vise, I hum'd and ha'd for about a year after I saw the vise like you have and the troji and because I can pull it out and work on the guitar from all sides I went with the troji.

Now, I haven't been able to use it yet as I just finished it today, but with the guitar in there, I did a little sanding and let me tell you, this thing really is rock solid. With just one foot on the base, it doesn't move at all. If I was to be scraping bindings, I would put both feet on the base and have at it. I'm sure it will be very sturdy.
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:55 pm

By the way Dave, that guitar sure does look nice. I really like the look of the shape, got any more pictures we can see of it.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Cool Rod! Looks like a good design. You got some serious padding in that thing, if you ever PO'd the wife you could always sleep in it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job! Thanks for posting! I might build one of those myself!

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:18 am

My pseudo-troji is just like Dave's, except my pipe clamps are blue!! :D

Ron

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:26 pm

Thanks for the info Rod! Thats great that it is a sturdy holder. I might make one when I can in the near future. That guitar in the picture is the SJ I'm working on now.I am carving the neck for it now. I'll take some pics of it and post them here. thanks
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Alain
Myrtle

Post by Alain » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:19 am

Rod, that is awesome bro! I can't wait to make mine. I too feel it's time to step-up and have something functional.

As for the sturdiness... Heving been at the receiving end of a 'True' bear-hug, I've no doubt that with all your impressive manliness fimrly pinning that board with both feet, nothing short of a full on assault by a line-backer could have it move! Ha!

P.S. The Don Ross package is still in the making, I found other tabs and I've yet to make photocopies... Sorry love....

a.
'Hunting sober is like ...fishing...sober'

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:49 am

Al, your cheeky :lol:

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:47 pm

Rod, thank you for the tutorial. It is well thought out and pretty spiffy. It's going on the list of things to get done right below the thickness sander.

Thank you for taking the time.

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:19 pm

Believe it or not Rod but i've had my eyes set on a trojy for a couple of years now, i thought of buying one at the beginning but then thought of making one, settled for a guitar vise a la Kathy Matsushita on a permanent bench that was then moved to my rolling bench with a receiving bag underneath, wel ya know, just in case! :lol:

All this to say that i really think your Troji looks awesome bro and i might make some room in my shop and make myself one! :D Youda man bro! :D

Thanks Rod, i saved the info to file, one more nice tool you've built!

:cl :cl :cl :cl :cl
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Where does the word Troji come from?

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:29 am

From the expression Trojan Horse i believe, during the antiquity.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:07 pm

matthew wrote:Where does the word Troji come from?
Trojan...its a brand of condom in the US isnt it?

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:49 pm

That's funny Geo :lol:

troji in the czech language meens 'triple'

Maybe it was used to indicate a third arm to hold the guitar.

Jean Larrivee was the originator of the guitar troji and named it such. Someone should ask him 8)

Alain
Myrtle

Post by Alain » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:03 pm

I must thank Rod for the kick in the ass, as it were, to get me going on this project.

Now that I've used it for five minutes, I can hardly believe that I went without one!

I had all kinds of hog lying around that had checks and cracks (not apparent in the pics) so I decided that I'd use it.

Have a look.

Instead of using a teenut I used a 1.25 inch thick plastic piece (uhmv...something or other...lol) that I tapped with .5 inch 13 NC and I got the rod. The action is sikly smooth and very solid. I also lowered the shelf a bit because I wanted to be able to stand the guitar upright and get to the end graft.

Again, thanks Rod!
'Hunting sober is like ...fishing...sober'

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Great Work Al! Good thinking about the height!

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:38 am

WOW BRO! :cl :cl :cl That was quick! :D

Looking forward to see that nice Troji on my next visit Alain!

Filippo
Gidgee

Benchtop version

Post by Filippo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:00 am

Given the limited space in my shop, I'm looking to build a benchtop version. The plan would be to have it slide into the benchdog holes on the veritas twin screw. I'll post pictures when it is done.

Filippo

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:39 am

Hey, welcome Filippo,

Nice to see you here :D

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Welcome Filippo!!

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:09 am