Improvements to Dust Extraction in the Guitar Workshop

MSDS Sheets or even stories of something stupid you've done in the workshop.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Improvements to Dust Extraction in the Guitar Workshop

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri May 12, 2023 2:20 pm

In my workshop I have a Jet Dust Extractor with a Pleated Filter that is connected to:

Jet 22-44 Drum Sander
Jet Belt / Disc Sander
Powermatic Band Saw

Recently, I added further pipes and connections from the Jet Dust Extract to:

Jet Oscillating Spindle
Carbatec Drill Press
Router Table

While the dust extractor does a reasonable job it still is not sufficient to collect the finer dust particles that remain in the workshop. This likely to become an health issue while building guitars in the workshop. I always wear a face mask and ear protection when operating these machines and try to remember to keep the mask on for a while after using the machines. I tend to be lazy and occasionally vacuum the workshop, I need to be more diligent with vacuuming. (I also needed clear up the clutter on my benches. This has involved building a number of wall shelfs. Its great now to get all of my benches clear again).

I decided to take some time out from my current guitar build and improve the level of dust extraction in the workshop by installing an Air Purifier on the ceiling. This has involved searching the internet for a DIY Air Purifier that I found and have constructed. See link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq9CqLwIcXU&t=95s

For my Air Purifier build I decided to purchase an efficient industrial fan and used ‘MERV 13’ Pleated Air Filters. See attached drawing, filter efficiency table and photos below. It is possible to make the Air Purifier large or small depending on the size of your workshop. There are a range of filter sizes available. The Air Purifier will work more efficiently when located more centrally in the room away from the wall corners and with the windows and doors closed. When using machines keep the Air Purifier running and continue running for around one and half to two hours once the machines are switched off.

At this stage I have purchased the filters and may consider in the future to make my own filters, as you can purchase the filter material in a roll and make your own frame. This would help to reduce the running costs when the filters require replacement.

Let’s make sure as guitar builds that we are protecting our lungs from the workshop dust!

Wayne
Page 1.jpg
Page 2.jpg
Page 3.jpg
Page 4.jpg
Page 5.jpg

Gazm
Blackwood

Re: Improvements to Dust Extraction in the Guitar Workshop

Post by Gazm » Sun May 14, 2023 7:26 pm

Thx for the pic's Wayne, looks impressive, are you happy with the productivity of this unit?
I'm about too build a similar set up . Dm sent.

Cheers,
Gaz

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Improvements to Dust Extraction in the Guitar Workshop

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun May 14, 2023 9:14 pm

Gazm wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 7:26 pm
Thx for the pic's Wayne, looks impressive, are you happy with the productivity of this unit?
I'm about too build a similar set up . Dm sent.

Cheers,
Gaz
Thanks Gaz for your comments. I am happy with my air purifier. So far I have found that 30 minutes running time is all that is required after machine work is finished. The exhaust fan is very efficient, however, it does not have any variable speed controls. I think if you want to run an air purify for long periods than having variable speed control would be an advantage. I also think that the fan's air volume 3490 (m3/h) efficiency is more than actually necessary for the air purifier to work. The domestic fan shown the youtube would still work ok. The fan that I installed being industrial should last a long time. Having the high efficiency factor means that I don't have to run the fan for extensive long periods.

If you decided to make your own air purifier make sure that you check out the range of filter types and sizes available, plus seal all the frame joints.

Wayne