New Shop Progress

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

New Shop Progress

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:53 pm

Well I am nearing completion of the construction of my new shop and wanted to share some pics with my ANZLF pals.

This will be the table saw room once all the junk and my zoot stash is moved out. I do plan on covering the insulated wall with something to keep the dust down. There is a 30 amp outlet, not shown, available for the saw and associated air cleaner and vac.

This will be the office area:

This will be lined with industrial shelving and be the zoot storage area. The office, storage area, and main shop are all sealed and insulated with heat and AC and will have a dehumidifier and humidifier installed when the shop is completed.

Here we see the main shop, it's 14 x 15'. A couple of days ago JJ and Joe White were over and helped me hang the Jet air cleaner - thanks guys!!!

The drywall in the main shop is mudded and sanded...... &*^$%^& and ready to prime:

And the other side of the main shop.....

Thanks for looking! :)

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 am

Sweet Hesh, you are nearly there dude. Like only some painting, the dropped ceiling and flooring in the main shop area and you're ready to build guitars again. So you should be at it by Monday eh? :lol:
"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:48 am

Good to see Monica is on the case again, a robust unit! does it blow as well as suck?

Gotta be the cleanest building building site ever mate!
make mine fifths........

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:01 am

Very sweet digs Hesh. After sanding drywall for a few weeks, I'll bet you never think that all that sanding on a guitar is a pain in the ass anymore. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:04 am

Not drywalling the ceiling? Looks like dust could migrate from room to room if you don't.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:17 am

That's right.

You've never lived until you've put on a set of drywallers stilts and mudded, then sanded 1500 square feet of ceiling. The crook that you get in your neck in itself is worth the price of admission.

Please post pictures Hesh. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:27 am

Cool Hesh. Must have been frustrating not have a set up space to work for so long. Once you get your TS you will be set to do a big fit out with cupboards and drawers and benches etc.
I just finished stage 1 of my new workspace and it makes it so much nicer to work in a well setup area with everything at hand.
Cheers mate
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:09 am

Close now Hesh.

Won't be too long at all until we see more Heshtone classics.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:22 am

Looking good Hesh, careful you don't get lost in there. Oh, by the way, wheres the bathroom. :wink:

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:42 pm

Looks great Hesh, I know the feeling of a tailor made workshop, I had one once. Mine now looks so dark and clutterd in comparison [new location interstate]. Theres gonna be some good instruments coming from that workplace I'm sure. Good on ya.
Taff

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Thanks guys! :D

Paul my friend good eye - yes I am going to have to seal up the spaces between the joists where the main shop butts into the office/storage area.

I was thinking of using some of that pink or blue construction foam and cutting each piece to wedge in there. Once the drop ceiling is in place and some R-13 is laid above it I should be warm and toasty.

The rest of the basement that I am not planning on heating for now will only be in the neighborhood of 10 degrees less in the winter so the insulation does not have much work to do.

Dom buddy right-you-are and that will be my last step building benches and outfitting the shop for efficient use. The thing that I am really looking forward to is having the space to create lots of surface area so that I can build multiple guitars at once. My go-bar deck will probably go away too in favor of a built in deck large enough for two dishes at once.

I have one more room to sand and then back to the fun stuff.....

And yes not building guitars is killing me...... I think about it nearly all of the time so I am really trying to get the shop finished so I can get building again.......

Thanks for looking folks!