Thinning Mirotone

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Thinning Mirotone

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:27 pm

I was reading a post by Allen 16th Sept 2014 regarding using Mirotone 3220 (see below) and would appreciate if Allen could confirm how much to thin Mirotone 3220 for Full Gloss spraying an instrument.

The post first indicates to thin each coat to around 100%. What thinners do you use to achieve around 100%? Is it Full Gloss MIROSOL 1222 or 1220 (Fast), 1294 (Medium), or 1242 (Slow). I am in Sydney and would expect that 1242 (Slow) would not be necessary.

The post then mentions to add 5 - 10% extra slow thinners to the mix. Is this additional thinners different to the thinners required to achieve the 100% thinning?

I would appreciate if Allen can confirm.

Wayne
Comment Allen.jpg

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Re: Thinning Mirotone

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:33 pm

I've been mixing my miritone as per Allen's post for about 10 years now. I started off using miritone thinners but one time my supplier never had any and they told me general purpose thinners would be ok, so that's what I've been using for about 8 years, I just get it from autobahn, it's way cheaper too.
I thin mine to 100%, equal parts thinner to lacquer, I also use slow thinners in it.
Maybe Allen will chip in with more info.
Wayne

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:25 pm

56nortondomy wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:33 pm
I've been mixing my miritone as per Allen's post for about 10 years now. I started off using miritone thinners but one time my supplier never had any and they told me general purpose thinners would be ok, so that's what I've been using for about 8 years, I just get it from autobahn, it's way cheaper too.
I thin mine to 100%, equal parts thinner to lacquer, I also use slow thinners in it.
Maybe Allen will chip in with more info.
Wayne
Thanks Wayne for confirming about the thinners percentage. Generally, after completing all the coats how long do you wait for it to curer before the final buff and polish?

I final completed the grain filling with Bote Cote epoxy. The guitar build for my client has Carpathian Spruce soundboard top and Panama Rosewood. This rosewood needed three applications of epoxy to fill the grain.

I thinned equal parts of the Mirotone 3220 with a 100% thinners plus a mixed of 10% slow thinners. The first spray coat applied was great! This lacquer / thinner mix works real well. I will apply 4 coats, level sand between coats and then wait a week for it to settle. I will then proceed to apply another 4 coats and level sand between coats and then wait for it to cure (say around 14 days?) to be ready for buffing and polishing.

Wayne

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:25 pm

14 days should be fine Wayne. I spray 15 coats in total, 5 coats per session, I used to spray 10 but I decided to up it
I think with the extra coats there’s less chance of sanding through when it’s levelled, just my take on it. Wayne