Removing Maton Fretboards ?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Andy54
Gidgee

Removing Maton Fretboards ?

Post by Andy54 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:28 pm

I'm a repairer of last resort and over the past 18mths I've had 3 Maton fretboards that needed removal. Two were due to failed truss rods and one was due to very deep divots around the first few frets.

Does anyone know what glue Maton had used in the 1990's to join fretboards to necks ? It seems to me that they *really* wanted their fretboards to stay stuck because come hell or high water, they are a bugger to remove. The palette knives were coming out covered in what seemed like "liquid nails".

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Removing Maton Fretboards ?

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:10 pm

Sounds like it might be epoxy?

I use epoxy on my fretboards and getting them off is simply a matter of patience and careful work with heat and a palette knife.
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Re: Removing Maton Fretboards ?

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:35 am

Hi Andy 54, I have come across that glue when it is hot and sticky but I can't tell you the type of glue used. I have a 2008 Maton on the bench at the moment that I had removed the fingerboard from, but I did not experience that issue.

A lot of the Matons I get are experiencing glue failure, especially older models. More recent ones have bridge failures and in the older guitars the white looking glue seems to turn to powder, and of course, let go. One old Maton came in with the complete X brace assembly detached from the top and lying in the bottom of the guitar.
06-SAM_0424.JPG
Taff
Taff