Re: Modal Tuning Course, Melbourne Notice - Rescheduled

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:37 pm

Attention those who live in Melbourne, or don’t mind the travel:

I will be running one of my 3 day Modal Tuning courses in Melbourne early next year. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve run this course now, but probably close to 30 times, including 8 times in the USA. It has proved to be very popular. Here are a few impressions from people who have attended earlier courses:

Denver, Brisbane, Canberra, Gulgong, Toronto.

So why is modal tuning important?

• Guitars radiate sound from their vibrating parts, mainly the top plate
• If a guitar top vibrates in a different way, it produces a different sound
• The different ways a guitar top vibrates are called modes
• If the modes are tuned to resonate at particular frequencies with particular amplitudes, we can shape the way a guitar sounds
• In the workshop we explore the theory and practice of mode tuning to help you achieve the sound you want from your guitars

What we will cover:

• How strings drive your guitar
• Visualising and understanding modes of vibration
• Relating modes of vibration to guitar frequency response curves
• Measuring frequency response curves
• Relating frequency response curves to generic guitar types (classical, flamenco, steel string rhythm, steel string finger picking)
• Relating frequency response curves to modal vibrations and a guitar’s woodwork
• Defining what a responsive guitar actually is and showing how it can be measured
• How to achieve alluring tone, responsiveness and in-tuneness all at the same time
• Targeting the “right” modal frequencies and avoiding the wrong ones
• Requirements of a guitar as a static and dynamic structure
• Measuring material properties so that you can make the best of the wood you have rather than wishing for the wood you would like
• How to decide what thickness a particular top should be
• Bracing schemes for backs and tops
• Practical tuning of guitar modes: Moving from “as built” to “to design”

When: Over 3 days; 12th – 14th January 2024. 9.00am – 5.00pm each day. Possibly with a dinner out somewhere local on the night of the 13th if participants so wish.

Where: The Northern College of Arts and Technology, 62 Murray Rd, Preston Vic. Not far from the M31 Hume Freeway for people coming from the north. There are a number of reasonably priced motels close by for anyone travelling.

How Much: $500. A $250 deposit is required, the remaining $250 payable prior to 10th January 2019.

The course is already 75% booked, so please don’t hesitate.

The course changes from year to year as I find new things to discuss and better ways of explaining the topics. If you've attended before (and many come more than once) you're very welcome to come again. There is always more to learn.

To book a spot or for any further info please contact me by reply below, private message, or email me via my website here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page_contact.html

Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to meeting those who can make it.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:26 pm

Hello everyone,

It became apparent that many people who wanted to attend the course had family commitments through January that precluded them from attending. Consequently, by popular demand, I have rescheduled the course to a couple of weeks after Easter, namely the 12th, 13th and 14th of April. Otherwise, the details remain more-or-less the same. Those interested, please let me know and I will send you an invoice for the deposit, payment of which will register you for the course, with the balance being due by April 5th.

To book a spot or for any further info please contact me by email via my website here:

http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page_contact.html

Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to meeting those who can make it.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:51 pm

Get in while you can folks.

This is a rare chance to become a fully trained private in the Gore/Gilet Army. Campaign medals will be awarded at the end of the course by Colonel Gore himself.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:54 am

Highly recommended. Every serious and half serious guitar maker should attend one of Trevors courses.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:29 am

We had a total of 17 students at the course held in the excellent facilities of the Northern College of Arts and Technology, in Preston, a northern suburb of Melbourne.

The mix of students was outstanding, with a number of well known luthiers and also some young and very keen people at the early end of their careers.

The feedback forms indicate that the course was well received and we certainly had a good time and some good food!

Many thanks to Bon Nardella for organising the use of the college facillities and to all who helped make the event such a success.

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:41 am

Hi Trevor

I have a chance to be in Melbourne during 2024 from the uk. Have you got any potential dates for the next class please?
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm

I have nothing more scheduled for Melbourne this year, but there may be a course in Sydney, but dates etc. are yet to be decided. The next scheduled courses are in October at Robbie O'Brien's place (Colorado), if your travels take you in that direction.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 pm

Trevor Gore wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:36 pm
I have nothing more scheduled for Melbourne this year, but there may be a course in Sydney, but dates etc. are yet to be decided. The next scheduled courses are in October at Robbie O'Brien's place (Colorado), if your travels take you in that direction.
Will there be beer?? :mrgreen:
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:42 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 pm
Will there be beer?? :mrgreen:
If history is anything to go by, whiskey and wine!