What did you get done this week?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

What did you get done this week?

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:55 pm

What are blokes and ladies up to at the moment?

I got the top glued on this OM. (and I'm not saying how 'cause you blokes'll just start argueing)It's Red Spruce on Maple and will end up having Snakewood just about everywhere else.

Not so sure how the Snakewood is going to look. I'm building this for the bass player in our band, Rick, and he's dead set on the snake look.

Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Have you used maple before Bob?
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:18 pm

I got the rosette installed in the Weisenborn, and a bunch of the braces glued to the top, and just finished glueing down the back reinforcement strip. I don't mind if I start an argument, so I'll tell you it was with good old hide glue. :lol:

Went for a drive to Ravensoe this morning. It's a timber town that came upon hard times when they put all the local forest under World Heritage listing. There is a wood craft show going on for 2 weeks that has some truly amazing work entered in the competition.

I put 3 guitars in just for some different exposure, and I'm pretty tickled to have taken out a 1st place with the OM cutaway with arm rest. There were a couple of other luthiers there, but I had never heard their names before.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Dominic wrote:Have you used maple before Bob?
Dom
I've done a couple out of Maple Dom.
Bob, Geelong

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:57 pm

Well for the past week I've been here in Singapore for the Five Power Defence Exercise that started in ernest today. Coincidently, today was my first day back at work as I was struck down with gastro on my first day here and spent the first few days stuck to the loo :(

The good news is, my better half got my brand new second hand performax 16-32 (with stand and infeed and outfeed tables) home from Brisbane on Saturday. So I've got something to play with when I get home. $600 bargain! 8) Just the thought of it gave me hope in my pit of gastronomic despair during the week.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:18 am

Great score Joel. And I hope you feel better soon.

I've been rebuilding the railing on the front porch. I should have the first half done today. Priming all the freaking slats took much longer to do than I thought they should.

I did manage to break a practice side in the bender. I'm not too happy with the way I have it set up. I think I"m going to go to more of a Doolin style.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:54 am

Heck of a score Joel. I bet you're so excited that you can't sleep at night. 8)
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:53 pm

Ive been making Mandolins based on Graham's mandolin Project book. Flat top, Celery Pine top, Tassie Blackwood side and back, NGR neck, Cooktown ironwood fretboard,

and a bent top, WRC top and the other timbers as above,

Im binding the fretboards so here is a fretboard binding hold it still thingy and a stand for frets when they have been cut and shaped,
make mine fifths........

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Well I did it I finally got a scraper sharpened and cutting correctly, no one at home thought it was very impressive but i have had my proud face on ever since. It makes cutting the purfling a lot easier.
Carpe Diem

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:25 pm

Spilt an Englemann top in half with a 1/4" drill bit on Saturday......went to the pub on Sunday and woke up this morning with a raging hangover

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:04 pm

Bloody lovely headstock there Sebastian. Is that a piece of the same burl that you are using as a rosette? It's going to look super under finish.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:23 pm

I've completed stage 1 of the new workshop so I was busy making the bitsa guitar I mentioned a while ago for a friend. Native pear sides, Huon pine back, Engelmann top, stunning curly marri neck with equally stunning jarrah centre strip. Got CF and TR installed.

I used a slice of jarrah burl to cut and install a rosette. Got the braces glued up as well. All going very well. This is largely made from bits of wood my mate has sent me so it has been very challenging because nothing was stock size.
You might remember I had to glue up two pieces longwise to make up each side from the pear using epoxy. Well this barely held together during bending but enough that I could get them back together and create a laminate using two pieces of stunning pommel? sapele veneer on the inside to hold it all together. I did all this in the bender.

Bob, my terse question was designed (poorly obviously) to draw you out on your experiences using maple. Any insights? Promise I won't mention glue.

Cheers
Dom

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:47 pm

The master of the short retort Dom.

The previous two were with Hard Rock Maple Dominic. One was an OM with an Engelmann top to tone down the Maple a bit. (which seemd to work because it's not an especially bright instrument)

The second was an O-18 with a Sitka top that is complete, but I haven't fitted the neck to it yet so I'm not sure how it'll sound.

This one's Big Leaf Maple so it'll be interesting to compare when finished.

I got some Hard Rock Maple from Steve Roberson for a Mando back and sides. He was telling me this is what Lloyd Loar used in those mandos he built in the 1920's. I'm looking forward to trying that as well.
Bob, Geelong

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:50 pm

Its a Brown Mallee burl Allen, both pieces from the same slice. I bought it with several uses in mind and this was one of them and when i saw yours.... My inlay work needs sharpening up but the overall effect is there. With a black bridge and binding i think it will be naff.

i think there is a whole style to be had there, not asymmetrical, interesting bits of timber, slices of twigs for fretboard dots, etc.

I agree about the Snakewood Bob, I would have thought a simple w/b would have been sexy
make mine fifths........

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Just starting to glue up the body for my mates OM style guitar this weekend.
Here are a couple of pics.
Heres the top bracing. I have only used tapered braces on previous guitars but after talking with Graham Mc I decided to scollop these ones to see the difference. Happy for comments.
The Huon pine top is in the background.

Here is the trippy neck wood (curly marri and jarrah) on the roughed out neck. Behind is the body with Sapele veneer inside the native pear body. I put a coat of shellac on it to pop the amazing figure.
Hope everyone elses weekend was productive.
Dom

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:23 pm

Looking good there Dom.

I notice youre using that blue coloured non slip matting. I was just reading a post over on the OLF where someone had problems with silicon based mold release agent left on some of these matts causing problems with finishing. Lillian I think put up the post.

Cheers Martin

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm

I've got two OM's, a Tiger Myrtle and a Blackwood on the go. Both will get Adi tops.

At the same stage are Curly Myrtle/Adi 0-18 and a Koa/Cedar 0-18 12 fret

I've got the sides and backs done so I'll be glueing the backs in this week.

Bob, Geelong

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:59 pm

Hey Martin, I am generally the biggest cause of problems with finishing. Anything silicon release agent can do to wreak a finish, I can do way way better. :? :lol:

Thanks for the tip though. I have had this blue stuff for a while and did not notice any problems when it was new. It is usually under jigs to stop things sliding around my bench. I use a thick bit of stiff foam to do work on the braces.

I also give it a wash with a bit of detergent every now and again to get all the dust out and get hard glue off. Maybe it was there before. I will have to be careful.

Bob, don't you just love wood?

Dom

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Post by hilo_kawika » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 am

For me this is the "time of tears" (!-!) . I'm trying to do a Tru-Oil finish on several concert ukuleles and the results are a litany of sags, sand-throughs and scratches appearing where none were before. I'm sure that things will eventually work out, but at the moment... :(

Dave Hurd
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:10 am

Did jack sh*t this weekend.....glued in two braces on a classical and spent the rest of the weekend pulling out weeds in the garden. Watered the garden on Sunday morning and on Sunday afternoon it rained.

kiwigeo
Admin

Latest Build...."Doctor Ruby's Classical"

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:24 pm

Progress pics of the latest build...a vanilla flavoured Torres based classical. Going to a friend over in Sydney. Top is Englmann Spruce from Graham Hein...its as stiff as. Sides and back are opp grade IRW from allied and neck is Spanish Cypress which came from Gilet Guitars. Bracing is Englemann from Graham.

Top and neck glued up and butt block in place. The butt block is an offcut from a stuffed up headstock so its got a nice veneer on the inside...that nobody but a termite will ever get to see.

Opp grade IRW sides from Allied. A nice set with some nice figure that will go in the lower bout area.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:34 pm

Martin, you've made a classical before have you not? What style was it? A chocolate flavoured Torres or something else :lol: ? How do they compare? I love the sound of nylon strings and I like playing them but have not made one yet.

I have the sides bent and back braced on a hauser copy but it has been sitting in my workshop for ages now. I should finish it.
Dom

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Classical number 3. Im not adventurous when it comes to classicals...at the moment Im concentrating on basic building skills and comparing different tops. No 1 was Sitka, No 2 was Lutz and this one is Englemann. No 2 had Hauser style bracing and hasnt yet been strung up....it needs bridge attached.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:38 pm

Really great work everyone and Dom that top looks superbly crafted - very nice work! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

I have been &*^%$%^& painting....... :roll: and hate it...... But I am nearly done with the whole place primed and painted now except for one remaining door that needs the finish coat of paint.......

I painted my brick wall yesterday and it came out a bit whiter than I wanted....

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:43 am

Didnt they have any purple paint at the hardware store?