Mandolin in Engelmann Spruce and RIver Oak (redux)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob_H
Blackwood

Mandolin in Engelmann Spruce and RIver Oak (redux)

Post by Bob_H » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:01 pm

Just completed the second of two mandolins in Englemann Spruce and River Oak. This one has a ziricote finger board and ebony binding and is finished with hardened shellac.
IMG_3869.jpeg
IMG_3870.jpeg
IMG_3871.jpeg
It's twin has an ebony fingerboard and blackwood binding and is finished in Osmo PolyX.
IMG_3873.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Mandolin in Engelmann Spruce and RIver Oak (redux)

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:56 pm

Bob, these mandolins look great and are built excellently built! I like the hard shellac finish.

Wayne

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:21 pm

WJ Guitars wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:56 pm
Bob, these mandolins look great and are built excellently built! I like the hard shellac finish.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. The hard shellac finish has loads of potential - just need to up my execution. Pore filling on this one could have been better, but I like the fact that it is an achievable gloss finish applied by hand, and can be done over a few days. I put on several coats a day for about 3 - 4 days, and flatten with wet and dry once there is enough finish to work with, and then work through to 12000 with Micromesh and finally finish up with a bit of wax polish. It looks and feels nice, and doesn't need a spray booth or protective gear!

I need to find a local mandolin player who can critique the instruments for me to help me up my game - any volunteers?
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:33 am

Bob_H wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:21 pm

I need to find a local mandolin player who can critique the instruments for me to help me up my game - any volunteers?
I don't play mandolin but how about you lend me that lovely instrument for a couple of years while I learn how to play?!! :mrgreen:
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:15 pm

Even tho the pic of the back is a still image, I can almost see the shimmer of that river oak and the the finish. Well done
Trent

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:27 pm

lamanoditrento wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:15 pm
Even tho the pic of the back is a still image, I can almost see the shimmer of that river oak and the the finish. Well done
Thanks Trent. I think this one is a keeper - it's possibly the best I've made technically and musically, and it looks lovely, Bit scared to play it though!
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:35 am

They both look lovely Bob. What are your thoughts about the two different bridge styles that you have used on them? One adjustable with thumb wheels. The other fixed height and looks lighter. I am quite a novice in mandolin style instruments and don't know the pros and cons of each type.

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:11 am

Mark McLean wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:35 am
They both look lovely Bob. What are your thoughts about the two different bridge styles that you have used on them? One adjustable with thumb wheels. The other fixed height and looks lighter. I am quite a novice in mandolin style instruments and don't know the pros and cons of each type.
Thanks Mark. I'm very much a beginner builder myself. Ultimately I would like to be able to build the bridges myself, and as my builds become more predictable that's what I intend to do. I think it is probably lighter and provides a more direct contact with the soundboard. While I will probably replace the thumb screw bridge in time, it is very adjustable, up and down, to help with setup and the like. With the other style, you can always take a bit more off, but it's more difficult to put it back on when you go too far!
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:09 am

I use bridges made by Vern Brekke. Mandolin, mandola and Octave mandolin, carved top or flat top. They are adjustable but don't use thumb wheels and are adjustable via two allen screws that move two wedges in or out. Very neat design, and Vern can make them to your specifications in terms of bridge height you are aiming for. They are made with a CNC machine, not really something you could do by hand. See - https://bridgerproducts.com/home
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:53 pm

peter.coombe wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:09 am
I use bridges made by Vern Brekke. Mandolin, mandola and Octave mandolin, carved top or flat top. They are adjustable but don't use thumb wheels and are adjustable via two allen screws that move two wedges in or out. Very neat design, and Vern can make them to your specifications in terms of bridge height you are aiming for. They are made with a CNC machine, not really something you could do by hand. See - https://bridgerproducts.com/home
Thanks Peter. They look very interesting.
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:06 am

Hi, it's all been said and I agree. I love the figure on the back, if that's hard shellac, I'm sold on it.
Taff
Taff