Installation of the LR Baggs Hi Fi and Lyric Microphone Custom Blend System on new Guitar Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Installation of the LR Baggs Hi Fi and Lyric Microphone Custom Blend System on new Guitar Build

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:14 pm

On a previous posting: ‘Pickup for falcate classical or steel string by JurgenV, 19th April 2023’, I indicated that on my next guitar build that I would be installing the new ‘L R Baggs Hi Fi Pickup System’ and the ‘L R Baggs Lyric Microphone’ together as a customised blend system. I have now completed the new guitar build and installed these pickups into this guitar. I have prepared a video to demonstrate how this setup works, plus photos showing the installation.
Video contents.jpg
See youtube link: https://youtu.be/2loM3uK1olE
(I noticed that the grandson’s reflection is visible on the playing side view that also shows the arm bevel and that is ok with me!).

Other related links:

Grace Felix 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oui05DXCxb4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFsXXOM1jzE

PZ- PRO Radial Engineering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyTCURfigm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P_vaDV5XCM

LR Baggs Links
https://www.lrbaggs.com/hifi-high-fidel ... kup-system
https://www.lrbaggs.com/acoustic-guitar ... tems/lyric

Manuals
Felix 2 manual.pdf
(1.75 MiB) Downloaded 318 times
PZ-Pro-manual-v2.3-web.pdf
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 300 times
A4 Install NEW FRAME 01 M.jpg
A4 Install NEW FRAME 02M.jpg
A4 Install NEW FRAME 03M.jpg
A4 Install NEW FRAME 04M.jpg
In regards to the new guitar build it has involved installing two Carbon Fibre Rods either side of the main two-way truss rod plus making the guitar neck a fully bolt on type of guitar neck. It was necessary to make some jigs to router and make the pocket. See photos. On previous guitar builds I only bolted the neck and glued the fretboard to the guitar body. It has taken a lot more effort to do this. I also made the truss rod cover plate magnetic and have eliminated the need for screwing the truss rod plate on. I am pleased with the results.

The guitar has been finished with ‘Mirotone Gloss 3220’. Previously, I have been using ‘Mohawk’ gloss nitro lacquer and a one-gallon tin is now over $200 compared to the cost of a four-liter tin of ‘Mirotone’ at $76. I found that fumes of ‘Mirotone to be a lot less than ‘Mohawk’ and the gas off period was also less than ‘Mohawk’. I did some spray tests first with ‘Mirotone’ and from the forum’s information from Allen helped me to learn how to use ‘Mirotone’. The finish turned out great on this guitar.
BOLT ON NECK m.jpg
The ‘Main Low Frequency Resonances’ results tested for this guitar are:
VA Full graph 2 M.jpg
For large Steel String guitars, the table for the ‘Main Low Frequency Resonances’ in the Gore / Gilet, ‘Design and Build’ book, Table22.1, page22-7 are: 90Hz, 160Hz, 202Hz, or, 90Hz, 170Hz, 214Hz respectively.

This guitar build is slightly larger than an ‘OM’ sized guitar and is a ‘GS’ size body that includes a streamline arm bevel that offsets the tops bass side symmetry. The tested results are not exactly on the target values as per table 22.1. I have checked using the ‘Table of Musical Note and Their Frequency and Wavelength’ and from the frequency testing results no clashing notes are evident. The guitar sound is very good for playing and I have not noticed any woof notes or, honking overtone frequency problems.

I have included gallery photos and specifications of the guitar, see photos.

Wayne

Guitar Galley page 1 updated M.jpg
Guitar Galley page 2 updated M .jpg
Guitar Galley page 3 updated M.jpg
Guitar Galley page 4 updated M.jpg
Guitar Galley page 5 updated M.jpg
Specifiction Visual M.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Installation of the LR Baggs Hi Fi and Lyric Microphone Custom Blend System on new Guitar Build

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:17 pm

Jeez Wayne......I think you've just surpassed yourself with that detailed set of videos and instructions. No excuses for anybody to stuff up fitting one of these pickup systems now!! :mrgreen:

Bloody nice looking guitar.
Martin

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Installation of the LR Baggs Hi Fi and Lyric Microphone Custom Blend System on new Guitar Build

Post by johnparchem » Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:04 am

Very informative post! Thanks

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:52 am

Hi Wayne, that’s a well presented and informative post. Thanks for that. I like that guitar too.
Taff
Taff

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:00 pm

Thanks All for the comments for this posting.
kiwigeo wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:17 pm
Jeez Wayne......I think you've just surpassed yourself with that detailed set of videos and instructions. No excuses for anybody to stuff up fitting one of these pickup systems now!! :mrgreen:

Bloody nice looking guitar.
Yes Martin, I probably have reached the top of my video preparation abilities, although there is always room for improvement. Doing all the tasks by yourself takes a long time being the guitar player, setup and recording the camera shots, plus do the audio recording and photo work. I hope that this information maybe helpful to others and provide more type of options for installation of acoustic guitar pickup systems for their clients.

I have prepared more information for installation of these pickups for 'X' braced guitars. See below.

Wayne
X Brace Versions.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:58 am

There has been some interest in my Custom Blend System. I now have an order from a musician in the USA with a similar playing style to Tommy Emmanuel.

I will be assembling the Custom Blend System and shipping it to my client who has arranged for installation by a luthier in his new Martin D-18, 1939 Authentic, with through saddle.

Wayne

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:31 pm

Well done Wayne that's great news, I hope it all goes well and you get some more orders.
Wayne

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:09 pm

Here are some more details regarding an installation of the 'Custom Blend System' in an 'X' braced guitar. See photos.

Wayne
X Brace Page 1.jpg
Assembly Page 2.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:07 pm

Here is more information to consider when installing the 'LR Baggs Hi Fi and Lyric Microphone Custom Blend System' in a Martin D-18, 1939 Authentic with a through Saddle.

The Martin D-18 Authentic has a Narrow Bridge Plate, Rearward 'X' Brace and an oversized Tail Block. For a correct installation of the 'Custom Blend System' in this guitar requires:

1. Making a bridge plate extender to fit the LR Baggs Hi Fi Sensor Pads correctly aligned to the saddle. The Sensor pads output level will drop off and sound thin if they overhang the edge of the bridge plate. See attachment.

2. Attaching the LR Baggs Lyric Microphone to the soundboard top slightly offset from the back edge of the Narrow Bridge plate. It is not recommended to fit the Lyric Microphone overhanging the edge of a narrow bridge plate. See attachment.

3. Countersink boring the Tail Block inside the guitar box to suit the length of the hole required to fit the threaded section of the 'Output Socket' connector to protrude the right amount through the tail of the guitar to fit the Strapjack Socket and Strap Ring to overcome the depth problem of an oversized tail Block. See attachments.

I hope that this information maybe helpful to know about when installing the 'Custom Blend System' in an acoustic guitar that has a narrow bridge plate depth and oversized tail block.

Wayne
Bridge Extension Plate Updated.jpg
Tail Block X Shift.jpg
Attachments
Tail Block.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:16 pm

Thanks Wayne for some excellent detailed guides
Martin