R.I.P. David Churchill

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

R.I.P. David Churchill

Post by demonx » Sun Jul 16, 2023 1:56 am

I am deeply saddened to hear of the loss of the great David Churchill. Not only was David my mentor, I am proud to call him my friend.

I met David many years ago in the early days of my electric guitar building. David would ask me to bring around my builds and he would offer advice and guidance, helping me build confidence and in his ever so humble way made me feel like it was possible for me to be a guitar builder too.

One day David offered that if I ever wanted to build acoustic guitars that he would show me his way, an offering which grew into many treasured hours spread over many years in the workshop, with the smell of cigarettes and Rosewood we discussed and dissected luthiery in great detail, I would eagerly take notes as David shared his measurements, methods and guitar building beliefs. One day I arrived and David had taken the time to draw up plans with measurements for his designs and told me to use them. He insisted!

Not only did we discuss guitars, over coffee David would share stories of his early days in England seeing acts such as Jimi Hendricks and the Beatles! He shared stories of when he used to shoot firearms and many other memories that he was fond of, like when he came to Australia with his best friend Richard. I can hear his voice and laughter as I write and it makes me both happy and sad.

David expressed that he hated being called a Master, however I am sorry David but that is a title you will have to bare, he truely was an exceptionally gifted Master Luthier. Anytime I hold the guitar David built for me, I marvel at the level of craftsmanship and the amazement never fades. He had a level of skill and attention to detail that most could only dream of.

My life is so much greater for having met you David. Your advice, your generosity of knowledge and the gift of craft that you tried to pass onto me will be forever treasured.

I will miss you my friend. May you rest in peace.
B2D96B5B-C290-4170-BCA1-FC6A73AA35A8.jpeg

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: R.I.P. David Churchill

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:33 am

That's sad news Allan...thanks for sharing the information and your experiences working with David.
Martin

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:04 pm

Yes sad news. I haven't met David but heard many good things about his craftmanship.
RIP
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:11 am

Very sad to hear this news. I met David a number of times at the Port Fairy FF in the instrument makers tent. Got to chat with him and examine his guitars closely, and listened to his guitars at the instrument makers concert (they sounded really great). Got a few ideas from him when I first started making guitars, so won't forget him
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:13 am

Hi, I did not know David either but I'm always saddened when I hear one of our luthier community has passed. I was just looking at photos of a David Churchill guitar I did some repairs on years ago, the label says Handmade for Jeff Lang. RIP David.
Taff
Taff

joolstacho
Myrtle

Post by joolstacho » Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:16 am

We're so sad to hear of David's passing.
He was a true gentleman, and a lovely feller. Yes his instruments are works of finest craftsmanship.
Had some great chats with him at the shows.
Maybe the 'rollies' finally caught up with him, whatever... Cya mate.