Spraying a less lethal finish

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

onlytendola
Gidgee

Spraying a less lethal finish

Post by onlytendola » Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:41 am

Kia ora! This has I'm sure been asked before, but I haven't managed to turn up a thread on it so my apologies for any repetition!

I'm currently finishing my instruments with nitro lacquer which I'm getting locally (Christchurch) from PPG. I do it in the back yard on dry days, but my neighbours are getting a bit over it. :shock:

I'd like to move to spraying something a bit less toxic - ideally maybe water-based. But in my searching around the internet for answers I'm having trouble translating my understanding of what products to use from the ones available in the US to the much smaller pickings available here in NZ.

I French polished for my first five instruments, but having seen a couple of them again recently after a few years hard use and abuse (and refinishing one) I don't want to go back to shellac for anything other than a sealer. I've used tru oil before, which was ok, but I'm keen to keep spraying as my results really have just been so much better since I started that.

Any thoughts appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Davy

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Spraying a less lethal finish

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:27 am

Hi Davy,

You mention having finished previously finished instruments with shellac. Have you tried hard shellac...its considerably more durable than straight shellac. Not sure whats available in Christchurch...here theres Ubeaut and Restorers Choice supplying hard shellac. Carbatec usually handle Ubeaut products....I think there's at least one Carbatec store in NZ (Auckland?).

https://www.carbatec.co.nz/product/3891 ... e-500ml-dg
Martin

onlytendola
Gidgee

Re: Spraying a less lethal finish

Post by onlytendola » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:23 am

Thanks Martin,
I've heard good things about it but not used it. I had actually tried to find it before but could only seem to get the wax based products, which didn't look like the right thing. I'll contact Carbatec today and see if I can get some in Christchurch.
Cheers,
Davy