kerfed lining material?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

JurgenV
Myrtle

kerfed lining material?

Post by JurgenV » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:21 pm

I´m sure this question is somewhere in he forum but I can´t find it :)
I´m thinking of making my own kerfed lining with a bandsaw, so far so good. Only question is which wood makes the most sense.
Usually you can buy mahogany and cedar kerfed linings but are there any good alternatives which are easily accessable?
What about spruce (if it´s not good enough to use for bracing) for example?

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: kerfed lining material?

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 05, 2023 10:09 am

Basswood and mahogany seem to be most commonly used for commercially made kerfed lining. Ive used poplar..because I had a source of fairly cheap lengths of the stuff.

I'm sure there's a wide variety of woods you could use. Ideally it should be flat sawn to make bending easier without splitting. I'd be looking for woods with a relatively high density to help create an acoustic impedance between top/back and sides.
Martin

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:16 am

I’ve taken to making my own kerf using 4-5 laminated strips glued into a jig the shape of the guitar. It’s a lot more faff, it’s much more fiddly to keep it compressed in the jig and it needs to be more than 17mm tall as it doesn’t go around the dish curvature of the rim very well so it requires trimming afterwards.

It is however very stiff when glued in place and I think it makes for a great rigid frame for the soundboard to vibrate off.

It also means I can use whatever wood I like. Currently using western red cedar.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:21 am

For the reasons Martin gives I use European Beech. It's fairly cheap and it is easy to find nice straight lengths without knots. It also bends well.

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:04 am

Hi, I'm not sure of the acoustical properties of Merbu, but that is what I am using, I am just trying it out on my latest build. I'm also using a modified kerfing as seen in the photos. I was using reversed kerfing but with the timber I was using every so often showed the saw cuts through the kerfing.
3-IMG_0176.JPG
3-IMG_0176.JPG (147.44 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
2-IMG_0196.JPG
2-IMG_0196.JPG (146.02 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
1-IMG_0200.JPG
1-IMG_0200.JPG (162.1 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
Taff.
Taff