Bridge design

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dave M
Blackwood

Bridge design

Post by Dave M » Fri May 12, 2023 8:15 am

I was looking at a video of Mike Dawes tonight. Very skilled guitarist though I do tend to think if someone wants to play drums they should actually be a drummer! He was in an interview with Tommy Emanuel.

However the guitar he was playing had a really elegant bridge design. No idea if it is an efficient design but it does look really nice.

I wonder if other Anzlf builders use interesting designs...? And can they show that they are effective? I'm talking about SS guitars.

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave

Dave M
Blackwood

Re: Bridge design

Post by Dave M » Fri May 12, 2023 8:19 am

Bejesus how do I edit a post!?
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri May 12, 2023 5:04 pm

Posts can only be edited for a short time after posting......its a long story but it involves some characters who kept changing their stories.
Dave M wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 8:19 am
Bejesus how do I edit a post!?
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon May 15, 2023 4:40 am

You probably saw Mike Dawes playing a guitar made by Andreas Cuntz in Germany. He makes a really long and elegant bridge on most of his guitars, a bit reminiscent of the moustache style bridge of the older Selmer Maccaferri guitars in length, but more curvy. I like the interesting shaped sound hole too.
20149F56-59BA-4281-806A-0A5BD0A9A711.jpeg
In terms of bridge design there are two generally accepted principles that are important for a bridge to work well:
1. The ends of the bridge should extend across the primary braces (whether they be X-braces, falcate, V or A shaped) to strengthen the soundboard under the bridge and resist rotation.
2. The bridge should be stiff but not too heavy.
Beyond that it is really all aesthetics.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon May 15, 2023 4:45 am

BTW, if you want to edit your own posts you will notice three small icons in the top right corner of your post, and one of them looks like a pencil. This is the edit button. Click there and you should be able to change stuff.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon May 15, 2023 9:12 am

A few years ago for reasons that aren't worth discussing we imposed a 30 minute editing limit on posts. I've just changed the settings.

Mark McLean wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:45 am
BTW, if you want to edit your own posts you will notice three small icons in the top right corner of your post, and one of them looks like a pencil. This is the edit button. Click there and you should be able to change stuff.
Martin

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Mon May 15, 2023 8:20 pm

Thanks Mark, I recall now he did mention the maker. And thanks for the points on bridge design.

It is something I puzzled mightily over when building my fan braced classicals. I was inclined to make a somewhat shorter bridge to save weight but this would then not have intersected the next fan. In the end I went for a traditional length. It is certainly a design that works as one might guess!

Cheers Dave
------------------
Dave