Nut files

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Nut files

Post by Robert Gleason » Thu May 11, 2023 6:45 am

Anyone bought the pricey Music Nomad diamond nut slot files with the plastic handles? I have a dozen or so totally worn out nut files and it is time to bite the bullet and get new ones. I have tried every type of file that the lutherie suppliers sell. They all work, but I really don't think any of them are exceptional. Except for one type of flat gauged file that Stew-Mac sells, which I have, all files are about the same. Just wondering if the diamond ones are actually good. All files are pricey, so it only matters if they work. Thanks, Bob

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Nut files

Post by kiwigeo » Thu May 11, 2023 10:13 am

Ive got shit loads of nut files but my favourite set are these ones plus a set of Japanese files that are pretty much identical to the Stewmacs.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... ing-files/
Martin

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Thu May 11, 2023 3:38 pm

I have a couple of sets of those too. Work, but are pretty slow and bind like crazy in bone, even when I wax them. They work great in Micarta. Just curious about the diamond ones. Unfortunately I know how this story ends. I'll probably have to buy the diamond ones!

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu May 11, 2023 10:59 pm

Hi Robert, you should definitely buy the diamond ones and then tell us all about them. If you need an excuse, Mother's Day is coming up.

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Fri May 12, 2023 6:32 am

That excuse would never work. My wife would not let me use them!

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Fri May 12, 2023 7:40 am

Hi, You could call them a set of nail files :D
I have many sets also, the last ones being those shown by Martin I have mounted them as in the photo. I find they bind too easily too. I often lay the file on its side and run it down one wall of the slot to give that slight clearance.
1-IMG_0261.JPG
1-IMG_0261.JPG (144.9 KiB) Viewed 14001 times
Taff
Taff

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri May 12, 2023 8:26 am

I'm with Mark you should buy them and tell us about them.

Slightly related - I try to always work in metric but the nut files and a lot strings are offered in thous. This can get confusing but I refuse to give in. I label my files in metric and try not to get it wrong. My worst measuring mistakes happen when I try to convert!
------------------
Dave

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Fri May 12, 2023 1:16 pm

Taff,
That's a cool way to put a handle on those SM files. I'll steal that idea. They will now be called Taff Files, instead of SM files.My inniial search for the diamond files on Amazon only turned up a large set that went from electric guitar to bass and was $270 or so. Since then I've found that they can be bought in smaller, cheaper sets for electric, acoustic, and bass. Replaceements can also be bought individually, which was a concern of mine. That makes things easier. I've ordered an acoustic set. So, I get files and my wife gets flowers!

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Tue May 16, 2023 4:24 pm

On the Nomad nut files, I understand that specialty tools are not for the casual users. I did get my set of Nomad files for acoustic guitar today. It will also work for ukes. Nylon strings are pretty forgiving. I used them today on a bone guitar nut and a micarta nut for a 6 string uke. I don't know what their working life will be like, but the new files are really nice. No binding in the slots. I saw some mention that they cut too fast. Well, they do cut fast and that is a plus for me. You just have to stay awake when you are filing and don't get too crazy bearing down. These files can also be bought individually, which is a plus because certain sizes always get more use and wear faster.
Today's uke was a tenor 6 string. Here in Hawaii I make 4,5.6 and 8 string ukes. They are all played same as 4 string ukes and any extra strings are in courses tuned in octaves..
Attachments
IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_2001.jpeg

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed May 17, 2023 12:59 am

OK, if they cut fast, clean and accurately I will take that as a recommendation. Do they cut a V-shape or U-shape slot?

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Wed May 17, 2023 8:40 am

U