Triple 0 in Blackhearted Sassafras and Bunya Pine

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob_H
Blackwood

Triple 0 in Blackhearted Sassafras and Bunya Pine

Post by Bob_H » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:36 pm

Howdy

Just thought I would share by current project, which is starting to take shape.

This is build number 14. It all started with a StewMac ukulele kit at the outset of the first Covid lockdown, in March 2020 :)

This will be Triple O steel string acoustic, with a 25.34 inch scale length. Bunya Pine soundboard, Blackhearted Sassafras back and sides, Blackwood binding, bolt on Queensland Maple neck, Jarrah bridge and fingerboard, River Oak headstock, Lacy Oak rosette and Gotoh 510 tuners.

At this stage I am not using either an external or internal mould, but rather free air building on a solera of sorts, similar to the approach outlined by Natelson and Cumpiano.

The back and soundboard are thicknessed and bracing is largely complete (waiting on some brace wood in the mail for the transverse brace above the sound hole). Next step is to start work on the neck and fingerboard and to thickness and bend the sides.
IMG_3731.jpeg
IMG_3730.jpeg
IMG_3729.jpeg
IMG_3728.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

TallDad71
Blackwood

Re: Triple 0 in Blackhearted Sassafras and Bunya Pine

Post by TallDad71 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:41 pm

That’s beautiful sassafras Bob. You must be very pleased with how it’s looking.

What made you choose which side to have on show?

The inside face seems to have more symmetry, the outside is nice but more asymmetric.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:39 pm

Thanks Alan - I was very pleased with the sassafras and the bunya pine, from Tim at Australian Tonewoods, now in Tasmania.

The side I chose to face inward has some issues with the transitions between shades, which while more symmetrical are less distinct - a bit blurry - than on the side facing outward - difficult to see at a distance but more obvious close up.

The texture and colour in the bunya pine was an unexpected bonus and might split the audience, but I like it, and this one is for me :)
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:14 pm

G'day Bob,

Lovely instrument mate. I have a friend who builds in a similar fashion to you and he also makes class stringed instruments.

I have bought guitar wood from Tim when he was in WA and will buy again in the future. His quality and service and excellent.

I have a similar guitar to yours built by Taffy Evans and it is a beautiful, big sounding guitar. I like it for Eb or dropped D and open D tunings.

Love your work mate.

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:35 pm

Thanks Allan. I agree Tim always provides a great product and he was very patient with an absolute beginner. I always check his store ( https://australiantonewoods.com/) first when I need timber!
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:51 am

Hi Bob, wow, that back sure is fancy, I like it. I started a 000 yesterday and put an inlay strip in the back. I won't show it as the New Guinee Rosewood I'm using is so lacking in figure after seeing your back. :lol:
What finish do you use Bob?
Cheers Taff
Taff

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:36 am

Taffy Evans wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:51 am
Hi Bob, wow, that back sure is fancy, I like it. I started a 000 yesterday and put an inlay strip in the back. I won't show it as the New Guinee Rosewood I'm using is so lacking in figure after seeing your back. :lol:
What finish do you use Bob?
Cheers Taff
Thanks Taffy - I was certainly pleased when the timber arrived! The last couple of builds have used a hardened shellac finish, with which I am progressively achieving better results as my technique improves, so I’ll probably continue on that path.
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:52 am

That is looking great Bob.
I did a sassafras L-00 as my number 3 or 4 build. Very pretty wood, also from Tim. One thing to be aware of (Tim warned me at the time) is that it is slab sawn, not quartered. I think this is done to better show off the amazing colours. At that time I was blissfully ignorant of the importance of humidity control while building. I remember being very proud of my braced back panel, which looked almost as beautiful as yours. A day or two later when the weather changed it was twisted like a potato chip. Slab cut timber is very prone to that. I rescued it by taking the braces off and redoing it after installing a dehumidifier in the shop. You might be a whole lot wiser than I was - but be aware that that back panel needs to be handled more carefully than most of the quartersawn stuff you might have built with in the past.

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:22 am

Mark McLean wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:52 am
That is looking great Bob.
I did a sassafras L-00 as my number 3 or 4 build. Very pretty wood, also from Tim. One thing to be aware of (Tim warned me at the time) is that it is slab sawn, not quartered. I think this is done to better show off the amazing colours. At that time I was blissfully ignorant of the importance of humidity control while building. I remember being very proud of my braced back panel, which looked almost as beautiful as yours. A day or two later when the weather changed it was twisted like a potato chip. Slab cut timber is very prone to that. I rescued it by taking the braces off and redoing it after installing a dehumidifier in the shop. You might be a whole lot wiser than I was - but be aware that that back panel needs to be handled more carefully than most of the quartersawn stuff you might have built with in the past.
Thanks Mark - good advice. Did the nature of the cut cause any issues with bending the sides? Re humidity, I moved house 18 months ago and have been lucky enough to have the opportunity (and understanding partner) to build an insulated clean room in my workshop with both air conditioning and a dehumidifier. I use it for gluing, finishing, wood storage and hiding from the heat and the cold (it also has a bathroom, fridge and wifi!). Big step up from my previous working environment which was indoor / outdoor at one end the carport!
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:08 pm

It sounds like you have humidity issues well managed, so it should all be sweet. Bending sassafras is like folding wet cardboard - no problem at all. Also, no pore filling!

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:59 pm

Looking good! 14 builds in 3 years is great going. Well done!
Trent

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:35 pm

lamanoditrento wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:59 pm
Looking good! 14 builds in 3 years is great going. Well done!
Learning by doing, I think it’s called! Plenty of improvement still to come :D Still, it’s been great fun, and very satisfying.
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:36 pm

Mark McLean wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:08 pm
It sounds like you have humidity issues well managed, so it should all be sweet. Bending sassafras is like folding wet cardboard - no problem at all. Also, no pore filling!
I hadn’t really thought through the pore filling issue - a very welcome development!
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Fri May 05, 2023 5:33 pm

A very satisfying time of the project - neck and heel blocks attached to soundboard, sides bent, kerfing applied and attached to soundboard, sides profiled for the curvature of the back, and more kerfing applied. Closing the box next, and moving ahead with the neck and bridge.
IMG_3745.jpeg
IMG_3746.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Taylor
Gidgee

Post by Taylor » Sat May 06, 2023 1:04 am

Great looking build mate, very nice Sassafras.
I just finished a build for my mate a few weeks ago with Sassafras and a Silver Quandong top, had a very sweet sound and I was very happy with it for my second guitar.
All the best with your build!

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:49 am

More progress.

1. Box is closed, and binding channels cut with the StewMac jig. Fitting Blackwood binding plus black/white purling on the top. Still having some trouble getting consistent depths and a consistent cut - I think greater patience, and a new router bit, are called for.
IMG_3749.jpeg
IMG_3751.jpeg
2. Installed sassafras bindings on the jarah fretboard, installed abalone dots, then hammered in some medium gold frets
IMG_3753.jpeg
IMG_3769.jpeg
3. Installed a two way truss rod in the Queensland Mahogany neck, then attached fretboard. Some gidgee for the head stock veneer.
IMG_3770.jpeg
4. A bit of a dress rehearsal, a check neck angle and fit, before seriously cleaning and detailing body and neck. Very hard to exercise patience at this point - really keen to hear it, play it!
IMG_3772.jpeg
IMG_3775.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:27 pm

A couple of coats of shellac for sealing - and to start to see the colouring. A light sanding and then time to start applying the hardened shellac finish in earnest.
IMG_3777.jpeg
IMG_3776.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:40 pm

Colours coming up nicely. The soundboard is particularly interesting. Using a hardened shellac, wiped on, and will polish up after curing
IMG_3781.jpeg
IMG_3782.jpeg
IMG_3783.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:52 pm

It is all looking very good! The finish job is coming up very well. Are you going with shellac for the neck too?

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:55 am

Hi, that's looking really nice. After seeing that finish I can see my spray room being used for storage. Gonna have to try that hard shellac.
Taff
Taff

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:32 am

Thanks Mark and Taffy. The intention is to use the hardened shellac for all components, let it sit for a week or two, and then to polish up with micro mesh. The photos and lighting make the finish appear a little smoother than it really is, but I have found that the hardened shellac can be polished to quite a nice finish.
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:05 pm

The guitar and the finishing is looking great Bob with the hard shellac. I think it also time now for me to also try out the hard shellac.

Wayne

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:48 pm

Pretty happy with the fit and finish so far - really liking the colours coming through, including in the soundboard (thanks Tim). Time to glue on the bridge.
IMG_3808.jpeg
IMG_3807.jpeg
IMG_3806.jpeg
IMG_3809.jpeg
IMG_3810.jpeg
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:36 am

Looking good Bob....
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:16 am

Hi Bob, getting close to the exciting part of a build. Looks nice.
Taff
Taff