Nitro finish

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mac007
Kauri

Nitro finish

Post by mac007 » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:21 am

Hi

I see references on this site to Mirotone 3220 as a topcoat for guitars.

Has anyone used the Mirolac 3150 Nitrocellulose?

I'm assuming it serves as a traditional nitro finish for purists who want to avoid the poly finishes.

Any comments appreciated

mak

asgilbert
Blackwood

Re: Nitro finish

Post by asgilbert » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:38 pm

Hi Mak, I am using it and it works fine. It was recommended to me by the rep at Mirotone when I went looking for some at the start of my journey in 18. Not realising that others use 3220.
I don't thin it to the level I hear others do with the 3220 but just the recommended 20% and it flows fine and the guitars look good to me. The boys in Albany WA have had a look and have not made any adverse comments (Mind you they are too polite).
For the last Parlour I built, I put three coats on the top, wet and dry between to remove any adverse marks. and 6 on the back and sides. These are light coats with good coverage.
The Les Paul Junior posted here was done with it and that had 6 coats.
My disclaimer is that I am a newbee and have only just got a handle on the whole paint application thing.

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:39 pm

mac007
Kauri

Post by mac007 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Hi thanks for the reply,

My rep over East pointed me back to 3220!!

For info- did you grain fill the acoustics or just shoot the coats and cut?
Gravity gun?

chrs

mak

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:20 pm

Pore filling on the acoustic is essential. Just went with the West Systems. Here again being a newbee it is by trial and error. To date more error and rework but been great experience. Drop filling essential after first and if necessary the second coat.

Yes HVLP.

Andrew

old_picker
Blackwood

Post by old_picker » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:00 pm

Used 3220 extensively and always found it painful to use - don't really get why it is so popular. I changed to mirotone WB8060 and it is a revelation. They have a great wb sealer available as well. I'll never go back to VOC lacquers. Downside is gun cleaning - I use acetone and you need to be right on top of things in that regard.

Depends on what mirotone calls nitro. It means different things to different manufactures and it is very marketable product name to instrument makers.

Lostininverness
Gidgee

Post by Lostininverness » Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:53 pm

asgilbert wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:38 pm
Hi Mak, I am using it and it works fine. It was recommended to me by the rep at Mirotone when I went looking for some at the start of my journey in 18. Not realising that others use 3220.
I don't thin it to the level I hear others do with the 3220 but just the recommended 20% and it flows fine and the guitars look good to me. The boys in Albany WA have had a look and have not made any adverse comments (Mind you they are too polite).
For the last Parlour I built, I put three coats on the top, wet and dry between to remove any adverse marks. and 6 on the back and sides. These are light coats with good coverage.
The Les Paul Junior posted here was done with it and that had 6 coats.
My disclaimer is that I am a newbee and have only just got a handle on the whole paint application thing.
Hi, I've used the 3220 on solid body guitars but often with difficult side effects when installing hardware or drilling for screws. I've found that the finish is really brittle and will chip just as soon as you go near it with a screwdriver! I think some of the previous issue was with applying too many layers and there being a buildup of clear within e.g. holes for bridge studs. So I've cut back the amount of clear which has improved things, and I've also made non-structural holes like those for pots and switches, ferrules a little bigger, and counter sunk/bored other holes.

Did you experience anything like this? If not, would you mind sharing your finishing process?

Also - anyone else reading the thread, I'd appreciate any comments - sorry, hope this isn't a thread hijack?

Cheers
Grant

mac007
Kauri

Post by mac007 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:22 pm

Hi Thanks for the reply,

I know pro luthiers (40+ years in the trade) who have been using Mirotone exclusively on acoustics and electrics and who haven't recently mentioned issues like you describe.

I'm currently putting 3220 on an archtop build over a Botecote fill layer. Probably not necessary since the body is European maple laminate so pretty tight grained but I decided to undercoat with Botecote to level out any blemishes / manufacturing defects !!???.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Mirotone seems to polarise the luthier community and it's an ongoing discussion apparently as to how much damping poly products like Wattyl Stylewood impose- again- I know some builders swear by the Wattyl poly product.

Variables like number of coats and final layer thickness obviously impact.

Of interest to me is my 2023 Gibson G-45 has no pore fill over the walnut body and minimal lacquer. Sounds lively and and an excellent guitar.

Very light build.

Guess they must know and thing or two.....