Florentine tip binding

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mac007
Kauri

Florentine tip binding

Post by mac007 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:46 am

Hi

For my ES17! jazz build, is the preferred method for the Florentine tip binding-

1/ Cut a ledge into each face ie. from the side and from the cutaway as per Eric Schaefer and then build up a tip and glue in situ

2/ Flush cut the corner and make up a triangular corner from binding material and glue it on

Since this is a very visible and eye catching join (and my first Florentine) I'd appreciate any advice.

"The books" design has a Venetian cutaway so no joy there.

Chrs

mac007

Geelong

WilliamDavidReynolds

Re: Florentine tip binding

Post by WilliamDavidReynolds » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:05 pm

mac007 wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:46 am
Hi

That’s a sharp tip on that guitar, I’ve never built tgat guitar but both of your options work. In my opinion cutting ledges in sides for binding size pieces with the miter carefully cut would be easiest and strongest. The entire tip being one piece would probably pop off if dropped or slammed.
310679F7-BACC-4B05-95A9-E089207775FF.jpeg
I like this method which is pretty standard on acoustic. Impacts won’t jar it apart and it’s easy to repair in those unfortunate events. First line of the binding and score side with knife on each side, shallow and slowly use chisel to cut ledge and continue to score the initial cut as the depth increases. Use a flat fine grit file that has smooth end/edge to flatten, (it’s all round but the binding is flat, so I just run it flat, and after final sanding sides, there is no visual flatness)
Placing the piece of binding on the ledge, score the body side with knife for each piece. Then shave the miter with sharp chisel. Hit miter with sanding block lightly.
I get mine so tight there is no sign of joint.
Plus if you over cut the binding at all, it’s a small piece and just make another.
Idk if you’re asking for all this, but I figured I could share , hope you get it looking killer!

mac007
Kauri

Post by mac007 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:38 pm

Many thanks,

That's all good info and great detail.

I did wonder about 'knocking the glued on option off" but then- you can always glue it back on or cut a new one, unless it tore out some wood as well.

I like your option- I might need to practise on scrap tho' to get those beautiful clean lines.

Thanks again

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:34 am

I remember Somogyi going into some detail about this subject. If you could find someone with his books it would be worth a look.
------------------
Dave

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:02 am

Hi, I have those books, here is a photo of the photo in that section.
1-DSCN4929.JPG
1-DSCN4929.JPG (83.23 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
Taff
Taff

mac007
Kauri

Post by mac007 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 pm

Thanks for that- seems to be the consensus