Archtop plates

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

mac007
Kauri

Archtop plates

Post by mac007 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:25 pm

Hi,

A search didn't show much up here.

Does anyone have info on archtop top and back plate laminate molds for either hydraulic or vacuum presses?

Maybe even a CNC file for the male and female molds to place in a press?

I'm avoiding the carved solid top route because of negative comments on cracking / maintenance issues.

I've never owned a Gibson / Epi laminated archtop that had a wood crack issue

Thanks in advance

Mak007

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Archtop plates

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:23 pm

mac007 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:25 pm
Hi,

A search didn't show much up here.

Does anyone have info on archtop top and back plate laminate molds for either hydraulic or vacuum presses?

Maybe even a CNC file for the male and female molds to place in a press?

I'm avoiding the carved solid top route because of negative comments on cracking / maintenance issues.

I've never owned a Gibson / Epi laminated archtop that had a wood crack issue

Thanks in advance

Mak007
There are few Youtube channels that cover ES335 builds using laminates and vacuum presses.

Cracking and maintenance issues with a carved top instrument......I guess a laminated top is never going to crack but if you look at the evolution of laminated archtops..IMO they were a way to produce a product simulating the characteristics of a carved solid archtop guitar without requiring skilled labour and higher cost materials.

IM about to start an ES335 build based on this guys Youtube videos: https://youtu.be/hMPGVuG1Dvo
Martin

mac007
Kauri

Post by mac007 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:14 pm

Hi Martin

Thanks for the reply.
Good luck with the 335 build

Aside (I played Fender Stratocasters for most of my +35 year career in the biz and have only recently moved over to hollowbodies as age and tonal maturity advance!!!)

I have found they all differ ,annoyingly, regardless of country of manufacture, year etc etc.

Eg. The latest Epiphone 335's (inspired by Gibson) are superb, but don't play or sound like a Gibson.

FWIW I just bought, for a lot of money, a Gibson '90's ES 135 and it's a charmer. Solid (balsa?) block and PAF's.

I'm about to build an ES 175 and will probably pay the $7-800 for a set of plates and body from these Finnish guys at archtoplaminates and build up from there.

They use Scandivanian spruce laminate, measure Y modulus data and seem care about the product.

I'll let you know how it goes- setting up an archtop press with molds etc seems a big ask for small time hobby builders.

Cheers

Mak007

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:51 pm

mac007 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:14 pm

I'll let you know how it goes- setting up an archtop press with molds etc seems a big ask for small time hobby builders.
Yes...a lot of tooling and jigs for one guitar :)
Martin

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:13 pm

I have a little bit of experience with archtops and i haven't had any negative experience with the solid carves in regards to cracking at all.
as a matter of interest with all the forums and social pages i peruse i don't recall any issues in general about carved arch top plates being prone to cracking,,, seen heaps of flat tops with cracks in them though! Juss sayin

Cheers
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com