John Miner's quick neck reset

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

John Miner's quick neck reset

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:54 pm

How many of you have seen this?

youtu.be/UTVzGM1Znv8

I have seen this video posted and discussed on a number of forums, including the OLF and UMGF. Discussion usually consists of self-declared experts loudly proclaiming that this is obviously bullshit and luthiery quackery - but of course none of them have ever tried it. There is also a bit of disparaging comment about Australians not having the first clue......

I certainly don't think this is the appropriate method for doing a neck reset on a valuable vintage Martin. However - if it works - it might be a good way to fix up a cheap instrument with an unknown neck joint held together by Asian mystery glue (and therefore not a candidate for an expensive steam-it-off traditional neck reset). There are quite a few comments on the original Youtube video saying that it works well (and the internet never lies).

Have any of you tried it? And does anyone know Mr John E Miner of Springwood Qld? I don't recall seeing John here on ANZLF.

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: John Miner's quick neck reset

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:21 pm

Seems to be quite a few people who have tried his method and had success. Not sure how you'd go with a well braced upper bout or a Gore style instrument with a substantial neck block and bolt down mortise.
Martin

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:16 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:21 pm
Seems to be quite a few people who have tried his method and had success. Not sure how you'd go with a well braced upper bout or a Gore style instrument with a substantial neck block and bolt down mortise.
If it was a Gore style bolt on neck, you would take the neck off, adjust the heel cheeks and bolt it back in place.

Never heard of this steaming method. It doesn't interest me. But good luck if you want to try it.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:43 pm

Wouldn't adjustment of the bolt on heel cheeks also necessitate adjustment of the bolt down tenon to avoid a hump where neck meets body?

For the record I'm not fully convinced from just watching the video....not convinced enough to try it myself.
nkforster wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:16 pm
kiwigeo wrote:
If it was a Gore style bolt on neck, you would take the neck off, adjust the heel cheeks and bolt it back in place.

Never heard of this steaming method. It doesn't interest me. But good luck if you want to try it.
Martin

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:32 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:43 pm
Wouldn't adjustment of the bolt on heel cheeks also necessitate adjustment of the bolt down tenon to avoid a hump where neck meets body?

For the record I'm not fully convinced from just watching the video....not convinced enough to try it myself.
nkforster wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:16 pm
kiwigeo wrote:

No, but you usually have to add a shim to the underside of the fretboard extension to meet the top at the new angle.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:31 pm

I am interested in trying this neck adjustment method, mainly to use on older and cheaper guitars. I have a friend who has recently been into buying older Japanese guitars on a Japanese website called Zenmarket. It is a great site for any MIJ products like cameras, watches etc. Prices on guitars are very good, and some of those older Yamaha, Yairi, Terada, Takamine, Epiphone acoustics are potentially great guitars for not much money. The only issue is if they need a neck reset. I will buy a junker from a pawn shop locally as a test case and see how it goes.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:57 pm

I believe it has a couple of issues.

If the guitar is built light enough that the neck has moved in relation to the bridge, then the traditional neck reset accomodates its desire to be in that new position, steaming and stretching it back is not addressing the reason it moved so IMO kind of pointless.

The other thing I did not personally like is adding any steam around a neck block or bracing is really not desireable

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html