Installation of LR Baggs Lyric Microphone on Falcate Braced Guitar

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Installation of LR Baggs Lyric Microphone on Falcate Braced Guitar

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:13 pm

For a guitar pickup I like the sound quality of the LR Baggs Lyric Microphone. For an 'X' braced guitar the microphone is normally mounted horizontally on the front of the bridge plate. To get the best performance the microphone needs to be mounted flush on the bridge plate and this is not feasible on a Falcate braced guitar. My solution is to rotate the microphone 90 degrees and add a patch above the bridge plate so the microphone can be flush mounted. Mounting the microphone this way has not affected the sound quality.

I also prefer to mount the removeable velco battery pocket on the neck joint. This involves glueing a plate with holes to access the bolt on neck bolts. I glue on a cloth for the velco to attach.

See photos.

Wayne

Page 1.jpg
Attachments
Page 2.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Installation of LR Baggs Lyric Microphone on Falcate Braced Guitar

Post by WJ Guitars » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:05 pm

I have made a comparison recording (no effects added) with my latest acoustic guitar build, see photo attachment. This has involved recording with the 'L .R. Baggs Lyric' Microphone and Rhodes Microphones. I think that the 'Rhodes' Microphone produced the better audio. The 'Lyric' does need some EQ shaping and would perform well for live amplification. I have produced a video of the comparison, see youtube link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDx2gBGITnk

I would also like to try the combination of 'K & K' pickup, or, the 'JJB Prestige GS330' acoustic pickup with the 'Lyric'. It be interesting to hear the results when blended together through good D. I. box preamp and then compare it with the 'K & K Trinity System'.

I be interested in hearing some comments from the forum.

Wayne
Latest Guitar Build.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun Dec 25, 2022 10:55 pm

As an addition to the acoustic 'Guitar Recording Comparison' youtube video I have produce another youtube of the Audio track of the 'L. R. Baggs Lyric' microphone with enhancement and effects. See link below.

https://youtu.be/AfbvcSR1oUI

These improvements support the use of the 'L. R. Baggs Lyric' microphone for both live performance and recording using a suitable D.I. box with good quality EQ. control and adding reverb with a compressor certainly helps to achieve a high quality audio.

Wayne
Lyric enhancement .jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:41 am

Sorry about this.

Please disregard previous post as I have not found a way to edit this posting. I have revised the video due to the previous video overall length being too long and had the wrong audio track. The edited video is now shorter with the long blank ending removed and enhancement tools used are now shown throughout the revised video with the correct audio track. See new link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRllrlRuEW4

Wayne
Front Cover RevisLow.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:09 pm

Wayne.....edit function only works for a set time after post is made. Will look at jigging this setting when I get a chance.
Martin