Blackwood over rosewood?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Richardshooey
Gidgee

Blackwood over rosewood?

Post by Richardshooey » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:40 am

Hi everyone,

A friend with a very percussive style wants me to make him a dread, and I'm wondering about going with a Blackwood top with Rosewood back and sides. I haven't ever seen this combination, so I'm wondering if anyone here has built one before or has any thoughts on the combo.
I feel like it would be a bit warmer and than all blackwood with more bass????
Any thoughts out there?

Thanks!

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Blackwood over rosewood?

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:09 pm

This might help: http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?t=1121

My thoughts...the sides don't contribute as much to the tone as the top in fact I try and isolate the two from each other as much as possible. IMO the choice of blackwood or IRW is a matter of cosmetics. IRW sides would probably look ok if the IRW is dark and the Blackwood is light in colour.
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:02 pm

Guitars that have hardwood soundboards in addition to the back and sides can be great. I have an all mahogany parlour guitar, my son has an all mahogany 000 Martin, and I have a mate with an all koa guitar. I really like them all. They have a different sound to a spruce or cedar topped guitar. Hard to describe - but I think they tend to have a bit less sustain and less "ring", and tend to be more melllow/woody. A good blues guitar but maybe not the perfect fingerstyle instrument. Importantly, they look different and I think more beautiful. Let's face it - spruce is not the most interesting looking wood, compared to a piece of blackwood or koa or rosewood. The disadvantage is mass, and any hardwood soundboard will want to be thinner than spruce to lighten it up, but not to the point of loosing stiffness. Brace it with spruce.

A while ago I had an all rosewood acoustic. It was a Japanese Terada built in the 1970s and modelled on a Martin D-41 (so lots of abalone) but with a rosewood top, back and sides. It was actually veneer, so not as heavy as solid rosewood would be. It looked sensational! The prettiest guitar that I have ever owned. I have searched everywhere for a photo to show you but, sadly, can't find one. The guitar is now with my niece. I have considered making another. Here is a video of one of the only others that I have seen in existence. Give it a thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiD26QGpgrs

Richardshooey
Gidgee

Post by Richardshooey » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:01 am

Thanks gents.

Good thoughts!

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:21 am

The more I think about it the more I like your idea of lovely golden blackwood on the front of deep chocolate rosewood. It could look sensational. No-one is going to make this guitar unless you do. Go ahead and do it. The world is full of spruce topped guitars. We don’t need more of them. Also, Google pictures of the all-walnut guitars that Taylor have made. Very nice. Darker woods all round is a classy look, but, your idea of a contrasting top will be unique.