Soundboard joining

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Peter Lynch
Beefwood

Soundboard joining

Post by Peter Lynch » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:53 pm

Hi All
Another beginners question , I have Adirondack from Old Standard Wood in the US
I found John at OSW very helpful he even asked me if the guitar was being used mostly with a pick or finger style . It will be used most of the time finger style and he selected a set to suit
.It is light stiff and has a real ring to its tap tone so I am looking forward to using it .The problem I have is the sides of each plate are not straight , where it will be glued is straight of course but the outside edges have an irregular guitar shape . I found it easy to join my previous Englemann plates which were oblong but I am wondering how to approach this , I need to get it right the plates were expensive and I can’t afford to waste them .
I am hoping that someone on the forum has already had this problem and solved it satisfactory.
Thanks
Peter Lynch

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Soundboard joining

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:40 pm

Not exactly sure what the problem is here Peter. As long as the two plates have a long side that can be joined and the top profile fits the plates you're ok. Top and back sets will often come cut so they just fit a template for the designated guitar they're advertised to fit.

Non rectangular top plate sets may present an issue with some top gluing jigs but this can usually be dealt with using packers and wedges.
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:48 pm

I think what Peter is worried about is how to get clamping pressure pushing in from the edges - to get the centre join together. If the outside edges are straight you can use some sort of straight edge to push against, but maybe he is wondering how to do that if the outer edges are already cut with a curved shape?
I use the "tent method", which is shown in the first video below. If you use nails as the thing that the outer edges push against, as in this video, it actually doesn't matter if the edges are straight or curved. In the video they are straight edges, but it works exactly the same if they aren't straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omCCUIcNhYE

You could also use the method that Nigel demonstrates in this video. Again, doesn't matter the shape of the outer edge. Hi Nigel - I hope you don't mind me putting your nice demo up here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSztnmmOx4

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:58 am

I use the old fashioned string and wedges method - couldn't find a photo of it in use but you can probaly see how it goes or find some other pics. It is a commonly used method.

It will accommodate quite severely non straight outer edges, particularly if you arrange the framework the right way.

Good luck
Attachments
top join 1.jpg
------------------
Dave

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:22 am

Tape tent method is my go to for all soundboard and backs. Especially when the outer perimeter isn't straignt. Often I'll cut to body shape in order to get two instruments out of a single plate. I've joined over 500 instruments this way

Simple and fast and nothing more than some sturdy masking tape required.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:24 am

Mark McLean wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:48 pm
I think what Peter is worried about is how to get clamping pressure pushing in from the edges - to get the centre join together. If the outside edges are straight you can use some sort of straight edge to push against, but maybe he is wondering how to do that if the outer edges are already cut with a curved shape?
I use the "tent method", which is shown in the first video below. If you use nails as the thing that the outer edges push against, as in this video, it actually doesn't matter if the edges are straight or curved. In the video they are straight edges, but it works exactly the same if they aren't straight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omCCUIcNhYE

You could also use the method that Nigel demonstrates in this video. Again, doesn't matter the shape of the outer edge. Hi Nigel - I hope you don't mind me putting your nice demo up here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URSztnmmOx4

No problem, I was going to post it myself yesterday but couldn't find my login details.

Peter Lynch
Beefwood

Post by Peter Lynch » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:57 pm

Thank you once again , I get it !
Thank you everyone I really appreciate the help , I normally use straight slats of wood to push against using a variation of the tent method . I couldn’t quiet get my head around pushing against edges which are irregular but I can understand how to do this now
Once again , thank you
Peter

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:03 pm

With a tourniquet style jig like the one I use the outside shape of the plates doesn't really matter as you have multiple sets of rope pulling the plates together.
Martin