Back brace position

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tiopepe
Gidgee

Back brace position

Post by Tiopepe » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:12 pm

Hi to all. I'm new on acoustic guitar build. I've built 5 archtop and few electric so far and I would ask to community a question about back bracing.
I have read both Roy Courtnall and Will Cumpiano book and some tips from Somogyi about relationship between top and back, but still not understand how the position of back brace and of course the distance of each one from other can interfere on sound qualità.
So, the question is: there is a general rule for install back brace to a specific position?
Thanks a lot!
Luciano

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Back brace position

Post by Steve.Toscano » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:07 pm

There's no straight up rule regarding location of back braces.
I've tinkered a lot with position of them and find that as long as the overall stiffness of the braced finished plate is correct (whether doing live or non-live back), it doesnt matter.

Nearly all my classical and flamenco guitars have 3x back braces spaced evenly. Some of the more difficult timbers have 5 evenly spaced.

The OM acoustic steel string guitars that my students build all have 4x transverse back braces (and yes this is still a live back) roughly evenly spaced, i say 'roughly' as they are adjusted slightly for aesthetic reasons.

Tiopepe
Gidgee

Post by Tiopepe » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:38 pm

Steve, thanks a lot for your answer!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:48 pm

My take...for a non live back I usually have three back braces across lower bout, waist and upper bout. For a live back...design and location of bracing gets more thought.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Tiopepe wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:12 pm
I have read both Roy Courtnall and Will Cumpiano book and some tips from Somogyi....

LOL.......that's a good way to end up with a head full of conflicting ideas!!! :)
Martin

Tiopepe
Gidgee

Post by Tiopepe » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:07 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:49 pm
LOL.......that's a good way to end up with a head full of conflicting ideas!!! :)
So I guess I'm normal :D

Alain Lambert
Wandoo

Post by Alain Lambert » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:57 am

In my last Ukulele build, I tried positioning the back braces on the nodes of the back (the free back plate that is) thinking that these nodes do not vibrate and so would be a good place for a brace. I could not detect any improvement in volume.