Pegbox drilling jig

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robinm
Gidgee

Pegbox drilling jig

Post by Robinm » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:56 pm

On more than one occasion, after bushing a violin pegbox, I've managed to ruin it by re-drilling the holes badly. I've always found this task difficult as there isn't an obvious reference point.

I've thought about making a jig for some time now and having just made a complete pig's ear of another bushing...
IMG_20220629_131856.jpg
The jig, made from MDF, allows the pegbox to be firmly clamped in place onto my bench top bench, which in turn, allows sufficient clearance for the violin body.
IMG_20220629_131722.jpg
An engineer's square is used to ensure the upper walls of the pegbox; the most reliable reference point, are parallel to the axis of the drill. A steel drill guide is mounted in the bridge attachment which can be moved to the required position.

The jig could be used with a drill press but I always feel I can restrict the potential damage if I use a hand drill. There may be some shouting and throwing of heavy objects about later this afternoon on its test run, if I manage to destroy another bushing.
Attachments
IMG_20220629_131756.jpg
IMG_20220629_131647.jpg

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Re: Pegbox drilling jig

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:53 pm

Nice way to handle a prick of a job.
make mine fifths........

Robinm
Gidgee

Post by Robinm » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:20 pm

Unfortunately it wasn't too much of a success. Even with the drill guide clamped very firmly to the bench it woobled horribly. I ended up just drilling freehand with the engineers square along side as a reference. That gave a better result than my previous attempts. I thought I'd try drilling a guide hole on the bushing; I usually turn my own from pen blanks. Have you ever done this?

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:04 pm

I havent, Ive only tried to fix up my own stuff ups. I ended up using a hand drill.
make mine fifths........