Acoustic Guitar neck bolt options

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Peter Lynch
Beefwood

Acoustic Guitar neck bolt options

Post by Peter Lynch » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:51 am

Hi
I have built two guitars now , using mortice and tenon bolt on necks .I used a commercially available bolt set from a luthiers supplier . These were the only optionI I found on the web . I wonder if anyone knows of a supplier of high quality bolt assemblies for acoustic guitars . I appreciate that this is a beginners question but that is what I am , a beginner .
Cheers
Peter Lynch

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Re: Acoustic Guitar neck bolt options

Post by Bruce McC » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi Peter

Any decent hardware store should have 6mm dia connector bolts
with a flat hex socket head, plus cross dowels or threaded inserts to match.
Failing that try cabinet hardware/kitchen joinery hardware suppliers.
Bruce Mc.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:00 pm

These days I use 6mm knock down bolts that engage into a cross dowel set into the neck tenon. I find the cross dowel provides a little bit of "wiggle room" if the tenon and headblock holes aren't perfectly in line with each other. Note..make sure you get the dowels with the hole drilled centrally through same.
c1bee304e8a88d7312d2175954880397.jpg
c1bee304e8a88d7312d2175954880397.jpg (7.29 KiB) Viewed 4378 times
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:20 pm

An alternative to the mortise and tenon design is to do a butt joint with a bolt down fingerboard. I have done a few with a kit system from Luthiers Cool Tools (link below). I would recommend one alteration to this method however. This is to avoid using threaded inserts straight into the end grain of the neck - they are prone to stripping out. Either place a hardwood dowel in the heel and have the threaded inserts cut into side grain of these (stronger), or use the type of barrel bolts that Martin mentioned. However, the LCT kit has some really good aspects.
http://www.luthierscooltools.com/Tools.htm#Bolt-on

Peter Lynch
Beefwood

Post by Peter Lynch » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:18 pm

Thank you for the replies everyone , thank you for the link mark that Neck system looks interesting . I think this is an interesting subject so if any other members know of supply options why not share them here could help a lot of beginners
Thanks everyone
Peter Lynch

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:15 pm

Peter, if you want the definitive discussion of bolt-on methods you will find it in the Gilet-Gore books. If you don’t have them yet you should consider upgrading your information sources. Anyway, they take you through the merits of various approaches. The bottom line is that if you are going to bolt the neck there is actually little need for a tenon or dovetail or other method that cuts into the body and neck block. A simple butt joint is just as effective, if it is securely bolted. And if you are going to bolt on the neck you might as well also bolt down the fingerboard extension, and then have a completely removable neck. There are lots of other approaches, but I think this is probably the best for the hobby-builder who also wants a good functioning and sounding guitar. If you decide you want to follow those principles there are still a few ways to skin the cat, but it is a good general approach. A strong neck block, and extension under the fingerboard is important ( the ones shown in the LCT website are too flimsy IMHO).

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:49 am

There are a number of threads on this forum discussing neck attachment methods.
Martin