Visual Analyzer on a Mac

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

FSDave
Gidgee

Visual Analyzer on a Mac

Post by FSDave » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:13 pm

Well, there haven't been any posts on this in a LONG time, so I'm not sure if anyone is needing this, but I did find a way to run Visual Analyzer on a Mac without having to buy a VM or a windows license, etc. I followed the instructions to install and set up Winery that are here (https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-run ... n-your-mac). I had to download the setup file from the 2011 version of VA to get it to run, but it seems to be working.

I had looked at a few other native mac options, but was hoping to avoid spending $100 or more, if I could avoid it. Will update this if I run into any problems.

Hope this helps someone.. I've been able to use a lot of info I've found on this site while "lurking" ;), so I'm hoping to pay back to the group when and where I can.

Thanks!

Dave

TallDad71
Blackwood

Re: Visual Analyzer on a Mac

Post by TallDad71 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:03 pm

Have you tried using the FFT Tools by Studio Six?

They have an iOS app which is great for recording taps on your instrument. The Mac based equivalent will also display your data. Attached is a screenshot of two testing results, green is of a dozen taps across the back of a guitar, averaged, orange is from a dozen taps on the bridge.

Shows me quite clearly the structural frequencies of this guitar.

Would that be useful to you?
Screenshot 2022-01-07 at 08.58.49.png
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

FSDave
Gidgee

Post by FSDave » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:15 am

I actually do have the iPhone version of the Studio Six AudioTools, which includes FFT. I'll have to take a closer look at how to set it up for number of captures, etc. I'd had a few issues with the app on my phone when I was trying it - either not recognizing sound, or freezing.. nothing terribly earth shattering, but I was losing confidence that I was going to be able to replicate what I'd seen in a class Trevor gave a couple of years ago that I was able to attend, so I defaulted back to VA.

I'll have to look some more at FFT and figure out how to set it up to summarize a group of taps like you have there. I actually do see a couple of test files I did a while back on a couple of guitars, so I had it working at one point.. Now, I just need to figure it out again. lol

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to check it out!

Spring
Wandoo

Post by Spring » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:22 am

There is a free software I use for analyzing room acoustics I use on my MacBook called REW. I haven't tried it for testing plates, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. The only thing that I had to do was enter the dynamics of the mic I was using to calibrate it since I wasn't using an actual SPL mic. It wasn't difficult but that was a few years ago, so I can't really remember how I did it. It is quite a robust analyzer, with lots of graphing options.

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/