Adjustable necks - revisiting the epic ANZLF discussion of 2008

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Adjustable necks - revisiting the epic ANZLF discussion of 2008

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:20 pm

I am planning two new builds and want to try adjustable necks. One or both will be carved archtops, which is also a new venture for me. I have been reading as much as I can about adjustable neck designs and rediscovered the fantastic forum discussion from 2008 - an absolute epic at 15 pages and >350 posts. IMHO this was the high water mark of ANZLF content over all of the years with contributions from most of the ANZLF regulars of the day - Bob, Kim, the Craigs (Lawrence and Clancy), Martin, Allen, Dominic, Dennis Leahy, the Pommie Daves (and many others) and fascinating input from notable luthiery innovators like Rick Turner and Benoit Muelle-Stef. It was a real ideas fest.

If you want to take a long look get yourself a beverage and a snack and click here:
http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=474-

In the nearly 14 years since then I am sure there have been some further ideas and methods developed, and ANZLF members must have gained some experience with different approaches. I am interested in what people are thinking now?
There seem to be two basic approaches:
1. Adjustable neck angle (with adjustments variously made by bolts in the heel, internally at the neck block, in the face of the fingerboard or under the fingerboard).
2. Adjustable neck height, with a fixed angle (a la Jeff Babicz or Ken Parker).

One of the themes of the 2008 discussion (mainly promoted by Rick Turner) was having the fingerboard extension cantilevered and free above the soundboard. There was also difference of opinion about the aesthetics of externally visible adjustment bolts versus having it all hidden inside. I have looked at the Mike Doolin method and the David Schramm videos demonstrating the Greg Smallman method, and the older Howe-Orme technique and Stauffer design. I would love to hear any experience that people want to share, or sources of information that you find interesting.

GregL
Blackwood

Re: Adjustable necks - revisiting the epic ANZLF discussion of 2008

Post by GregL » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:50 am

Hi Mark,

Have you had a look at Cranmer Guitars build "Making an Adjustable Neck Archtop Guitar"?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR7zfXn3zWs&t=577s
I don't know if it's anything like what you're after, but I found it interesting.

GregL.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:27 am

LOL...adjustable neck????!!! I've only just mastered the Gore style bolt on bolt down neck!!
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Well, Trevor is making adjustable necks now too. I am hoping that he will show us what he has been up to in the third edition of the books - if he just gets his finger out and writes it (I mean, how hard can it be?)

Greg - I did see that video a while back, thanks for reminding me. It is a take on the Ken Parker style vertical adjustable neck, but in a more conventional body design than the Parker Flyer (which is a bit too funky for many people's taste). I thought it was cool but as soon as he went to the metal lathe and started turning out the adjustable post I thought it was beyond my skill set. Butstill, it is a clever idea, and I will have another look at it to see if I could cobble together something similar with some hardware from Bunning's.

I would be interested in hearing from experienced archtop makers whether they see this as an important innovation? Theoretically, the ability to adjust the action is an important attribute in an archtop because changes with humidity affect the height of the arch. Gibson and most other makers have accounted for this by making a bridge that is adjustable for height, raising or lowering the action. But those bridges with the small feet and thumb-wheel screws leave the bridge poorly coupled with the soundboard - not good for acoustic performance. Parker's idea is to have a solid, flat-bottomed bridge and to instead adjust action by raising or lowering the neck. It also means that the entire neck and fingerboard float above the soundboard, allowing the upper bout to be more active. But I am an archtop ignoramus.