Help!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

David Herring
Beefwood

Help!

Post by David Herring » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:21 pm

Image After putting back on I'm left with a mess. Edge was painted not binding but could someone suggest filler and best paint to clean it up a bit. Could use black leather stain but not sure it would take to filler. This is an entry level guitar and I am an entry level fixer upper.
Attachments
20211121_180645.jpg
20211121_180659.jpg

simso
Blackwood

Re: Help!

Post by simso » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:51 pm

Hi David,

Is this a manufacturers guitar that you have put a new back onto or a guitar you built and you removed replaced your back or is his the back that existed and you had removed it for access

Is this your guitar or a customers/friends, I ask, as I would approach the repair diffrently, dependant on who owned it

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

David Herring
Beefwood

Post by David Herring » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:32 pm

Thanks for reply Steve. The guitar is a manufacturers guitar. My hobby is doing up broken or battered guitars and giving them away to people who show an interest in music. I buy some cheepies from gumtree and now people give me their castoffs. This guitar had 5 of the six bracings broken or lifting so I had to take the back off and replace them. I've been doing this for a year now and getting better at structural repairs but finishing is not good. I dont feel confident to work on other peoples guitars so dont do it. Am busy enough doing giveaways.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:05 am

Easy, if it was a customers guitar I was going to say pull the back off and profile sand the sides and refit the back, use rubber bands rather than clamps.

Being a cheapie and you pulled the back for access, mix some epoxy up and fill the gaps all the way around, scuff sand the sides and back and get some supercheap autos acrylic satin black, its 12 dollars a can, spray the edge black, the overspray will give a light burst look to the job, it is the cheapest and easiest fix with a decent end result
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

David Herring
Beefwood

Post by David Herring » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:00 am

Thanks Steve. I have some matt black auto spray. Was thinking about trying to use paintbrush but wasnt optimistic. Will try spray but some serious masking to be done. Thnks and rgds Davimkd