More improvements to pantograph jig for guitar inlays

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

More improvements to pantograph jig for guitar inlays

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:00 pm

I waited over six weeks for a 'Stewmac' Router plunge tool to arrive to fit it to the Dremel in my Pantograph Inlay Jig. Generally, most of my orders from 'Stewmac' with free shipping arrive within 1 to 4 weeks.

I now have been able to make the modifications to the pantograph and improve the cutting depth control operations when cutting pearl inlays and pockets. For details see photo attachments.

Wayne
D01.jpg
D02.jpg
D03.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: More improvements to pantograph jig for guitar inlays

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:42 pm

I have prepare some drawing of the pantograph jig modifications for those who may be interested and have added more notes to some of the photos, See Attachments.

Wayne
CP01.jpg
CP02.jpg
CP03.jpg
CP04.jpg
CP05.jpg
CP06.jpg
CP07.jpg
CP08.jpg
CP09.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks Wayne...your drawings are immaculate :D
Martin

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:08 am

Thanks Martin for the good comment. Having drawings available for future reference is good.

Note: I do have more information regarding specific functions when using the pantograph jig and this information can be made available if required in the forum.

I need to resubmit one of the photo attachments that was updated. See attachment.

Wayne
CP03.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:09 pm

I has also added some addition note on attachment 'CP06'.

Wayne
CP06.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:46 am

For those who may be considering building the modified inlay pantograph using a Dremel with a 'Stewmac' Plunger attachment, I have provided a full size cutout template drawing and it can be cut out as a template to make the Pantograph Dremel Mounting Plate. The attachment is in pdf format.

I have printed this 'A4' size pdf file and checked that it does measure correctly at 1:1 to the dimensions shown.

Wayne
Full Size Mount Plate.pdf
(50.33 KiB) Downloaded 188 times

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:25 am

Outside of this forum, I have had other questions asked regarding the Pantograph Jig and as additional information I have provided some of my comments.

Wayne

COMMENTS:

1. From my investigations on you tube with CNC for cutting out pockets and inlays, I found that a very slight difference in sizing between the pocket and inlay is required for the inlay to fit the pocket. This very slight difference also applies with the pantograph method of cutting a matching pocket and inlay. The diameter size of the tracing guide pin contributes to the accuracy of the shapes to be cut. I found that a 0.9mm diameter for the guide pin size to trace around the pocket and inset templates resulted in more compatible size to fit the inlay insert into the pocket. Using the 2:1 sizing ratio for the templates minimises potential variation issues with the reduction factor being applied.

I decided to have made a laser made template for the pocket and another laser made template for the inlay insert. They are both a matching pair, see photo attachment. The guide pin traces the inside edge of the pocket template and the guide pin traces the outside edge of the insert inlay template. I have not tried to use the same template to cut out a matching pocket and inlay insert.

When I glue my inlays into the pocket I still use an epoxy that is mixed together with the timber dust to fill any micro variations that may occur from the cut out pocket and inlay insert.

Another important operation when cutting out the shapes is to start the cut slightly away from the edge to achieve a continues smooth edge.

2. To avoid the router bit sliding across and damaging the Pearl shape on the pearl slab when cutting out an inlay, the template shape is raised 3 mm in height above the base. The tracing pin then travels around the outer perimeter on the 3mm lower base and prevents scratching or chipping into the pearl shape. Therefore, it is more reliable and easier to control tracing around the outside edge of the inlay being cut on a pearl slab.

The pocket type template cuts from the perimeter inside edges and then cuts out the remaining timber area within the pocket.

3. I have added an important height dimension '24mm' to the attachment where the jig base has been raised for the side rails and set to suit the 'Stewmac' attachment plunger movement height range. See updated attachment.
CP08.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:46 pm

I have made some additional guideline notes for cutting pockets and inlay inserts with the pantograph. See attachment.

Wayne
Cutting Notes.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:12 pm

Sorry, I found a couple of typo errors. Please refer to the corrected attachment 'Cutting Notes01,jpeg'.

Wayne
Cutting Notes01.jpg

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:31 am

I am currently on my next SS guitar build and have started some of the inlay required for the headstock. Since providing information to the forum about my modified router pantograph I decided to make a video to demonstrate it in operation. The video is around six minutes long, refer to youtube link.

Wayne

https://youtu.be/sTMd_WBHxb4