Falcate Bracing Question with 14 Fret Body Joint

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Falcate Bracing Question with 14 Fret Body Joint

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:54 pm

After building 12 Fret body Joint falcate braced guitars that have the bridge located in the optimum response location. Some guitar player who like these guitars still prefer the 14th fret at the body joint and are prepared to accept that the bridge location would not be where the roar of the sound is. I have prepared a 14th fret body joint sketch showing the falcate bracing. See attachment that shows two locations where the taper past the bridge plate could start. I'm not sure whether it is necessary to relocate the start of the taper on the primary and secondary braces with the bridge plate now relocated to suit a 14 fret body joint layout for falcate bracing.

May be Trevor could advise. I would appreciate any comments from the forum group.

Wayne
Falcate Bracing 14F BJ.jpg

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Re: Falcate Bracing Question with 14 Fret Body Joint

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:53 pm

For what it's worth, I keep the start of my taper approximately the same distance from the SL as the 12f plan. Tail side it is a longer taper and vise versa in front of the bridge, a shorter taper.
Trent

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:01 am

by lamanoditrento » Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:53 pm

For what it's worth, I keep the start of my taper approximately the same distance from the SL as the 12f plan. Tail side it is a longer taper and vise versa in front of the bridge, a shorter taper./quote]

Thanks Trent for the taper information. I don't have any building experience with Falcate Bracing re: 14th Body Joint for a steel string guitar. I was concerned that there may have not been sufficient strength in the primary and secondary braces at the tail end.

Wayne

Spring
Wandoo

Post by Spring » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:33 am

I am also in the process of starting a design for a 14 fret neck joint, so I look forward to responses to your post.
I have been re-reading the appropriate sections of the Gore/Gilet books and it looks to me that you are meeting most of the criteria set out in
7.3.2 except perhaps: "The arms of the braces should divide the lower bout of the guitar into approximately equal angular section"
It looks like the area to the neck side of the lateral tertiary brace is much smaller than the other areas. Since I think the relationship between this brace and the bridge is important, its position I think would be correct. That would most likely mean changes to the bend angles on the Secondary Falcate brace. The effect of doing this could have implications on the tail block end of the Primary Falcate brace, but this would have to keep its relationship to the bridge pin holes in mind.
But, I should add that I am pretty new to the guitar building world, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
In my mind, (which can be overactive) the main objective is to allow the sound to radiate as much as possible, so having the braces break the plate up into similar sized areas make total sense.
Thanks for your post, I'm hoping it will help guide me through this.
Cheers

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:38 am

by Spring » Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:33 am

I am also in the process of starting a design for a 14 fret neck joint, so I look forward to responses to your post.
I have been re-reading the appropriate sections of the Gore/Gilet books and it looks to me that you are meeting most of the criteria set out in
7.3.2 except perhaps: "The arms of the braces should divide the lower bout of the guitar into approximately equal angular section"
It looks like the area to the neck side of the lateral tertiary brace is much smaller than the other areas.
Thanks for the interest in the falcate 14 fret body joint version. I have included an arm bevel in my proposed layout and the length of the primary and secondary braces have been reduced on this side to accommodate the arm bevel. Although, not having equal symmetry that is the standard for the falcate bracing design, I have not noticed any significant issues doing this modification on my falcate 12 fret body joint guitar builds. I am very happy with the sound quality that includes the arm bevel being streamlined into the body of the guitar. I would expect this will hopefully be also the case for a falcate 14 fret body joint version.

I know that Trevor places his arm bevels externally to retain the design bracing symmetry and this method helps to keep your arm off the soundboard top when playing the guitar to avoid damping the sound. From my experience with Steel String falcate braced guitars there is amazing dynamic level range. Resting the arm on the soundboard top only slightly reduces the dynamics and is not an issues for live performance. The dynamic difference is hardly noticed even when recording.

Wayne

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:44 pm

After long pause I have able to get back to my falcate 14th fret body joint guitar build. The top is Sitka Spruce and back Amboyna. Just started to close the box. Refer to photos. I will make a post in the 'Gallery' when completed.

Wayne
Falcate Top 14th BJ.jpg
Back Live Bracing.jpg
Closing Box.jpg

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:33 pm

Looking at the centre strip forward of the UTB....you're not doing a bolt down fretboard extension?
Martin

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Post by WJ Guitars » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:44 pm

by kiwigeo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:33 pm

Looking at the centre strip forward of the UTB....you're not doing a bolt down fretboard extension?/quote]

For this build Martin it will be a bolt on neck joint with glued on fretboard extension I need to make up the router jig first for my next
guitar build in the future that will be a bolt on of neck joint / fretboard extension.

Wayne