US Postal Service

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

US Postal Service

Post by graham mcdonald » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:57 am

From the beginning of last month (September), the USPS has stopped sending parcels to Australia. Everything else gets returned to the sender, who can then claim a refund. For a while, the most expensive Priority Express packages were getting through, but that seems to have stopped since Oct 1. The USPS claim there are not enough planes flying across the Pacific, so no room for mail. At the same time I got a package from StewMac in 10 days, but that was sent through the Swedish postal service and the most recent copy of the Fretboard Journal (published in Seattle) came via the Belgian postal service. What a curious world.

Cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Re: US Postal Service

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:20 pm

Oh no. I have 4 sets of Rubner tuners and 4 James tailpieces sent via USPS, adding up to quite a bit of $$s. Both have been taking their time, which is normal at the moment. The Rubners bounced and they resent via USPS priority express post. I don't have tracking numbers (yet).
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:01 pm

I have a flame maple board coming, it was sent on the 30th of September via USPS, I got a message from Australia post today saying it was in Sydney so I'm pretty happy it's made it, I think I must've just beat the suspension.
Wayne

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:48 pm

Aussie post still managing to get stuff overseas. More business for the courier companies I guess.
Martin

Blackstar1099
Beefwood

Post by Blackstar1099 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:13 pm

56nortondomy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:01 pm
I have a flame maple board coming, it was sent on the 30th of September via USPS, I got a message from Australia post today saying it was in Sydney so I'm pretty happy it's made it, I think I must've just beat the suspension.
Wayne
Now you just have to wait at least a month, if you're lucky. I had a set of pickups sit at the Essendon Fields facility for 4 weeks before it finally got delivered to me in Glenroy, 5kms away. Superglue from Carbatec Qld shipped over 4 weeks ago, still at Essendon Fields.

Piero

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:09 am

I have now got the tracking numbers for my tuners and tailpieces. The tuners have left LA, so they should be ok (phew). The tailpieces are still in the USA and appear to be stuck. Last entry was 3rd Sept, so that is a real concern especially since I have more than $800 invested in that package. Unfortunately it is tailpieces I am getting desperate for so have ordered some more and they will be sent FedEx.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Weirdly, I got an email from Madinter saying Fedex has suspended all services to Australia. This is from Spain mind you not the US.
Trent

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:45 pm

Sounds like the US is giving up on everything!!!
Martin

Robert Gleason
Wandoo

Post by Robert Gleason » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:26 pm

One thing I can say about USPS is that they have never lost anything of mine. Things eventually do arrive, but sometimes the trip is long. I sent a package to Japan and it went to Israel first. Recently I sent a package to the other side of my island, and it went to Guam first. A package was mailed to me from Minnesota a month ago and it also went to Guam first. They all eventually arrived. That said, a package of shell from Australia, which was shipped by whatever your EMS is, went to Georgia on it's way to me in Hawaii. It vacationed in Georgia for a couple of weeks! Go figure. Can you imagine a world without mail service though?-Bob

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:55 pm

Weird. I'm still receiving stuff through USPS. Taking around 4 weeks.