Newbie introduction

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Ricky Kay
Gidgee

Newbie introduction

Post by Ricky Kay » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi there, thought I should introduce myself so I'm Ricky I live in the Coromandal NZ .
I have only built one guitar to date and have just started number 2.
They say you learn by your mistakes and my first guitar has taught me a shed load .
I had been thinking about building guitars for a long time and started about two years ago gathering tools as l could afford them
and I'm still buying them, the latest was a venturi vacuum pump as I've been reading Ervin Somogyi,s books and lamenting the sides
seems to be the way to go.
The first guitar wasn't a complete disaster it sounds way better than my factory guitars , it's just a little ugly in places.
The workshop is the garage and l have to share it with a car because happy wife happy life :roll:
So I've had to build a 3×4 shed out the back to store most of the stuff unrelated to guitar and the growing wood collection.
In the garage l built a new work bench with a set of three draws that are big enough to hold a guitar each , and on top of them is the go bar deck which has a room built over it and enough room to stand inside at the end of the bench. This is my solution to the humidity problem, humidity is controlled in the room and in the drawers with an Ink bird and a dehumidifyer.
I put French cleat on the wall so I'm spending less time looking for things, and it's a lot tidyer.
Everything is on wheels to save space and l built a drum sander with collapsible legs and wheels on one side so that it rolls underneath the bench .
So yeah building the first guitar is is probably 80% building other stuff but it's all good fun.
I would like to thank you guys that look after and contribute to this forum, it's been a great help for a lot of the problem solving .

Cheers Ricky.

WJ Guitars
Blackwood

Re: Newbie introduction

Post by WJ Guitars » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:23 pm

Welcome Ricky to the forum. I can see that you are very creative in setting up available space for your guitar builds in the garage. I 'm certain that you will enjoy the guitar building journey, even with the good and sometimes difficulties things that can happen. Looking forward to seeing your posts in the forum of your guitar builds.

Wayne
https://wjguitars.wixsite.com/mysite-1

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:36 pm

Welcome Ricky
"First guitar sounds better than a factory build - but a bit ugly in places" We can all relate to that. I bet it feels better than a factory job too?
It sounds like you are getting yourself sorted out for building really well. Tools will accumulate slowly, together with ideas for future builds. But if you already have a go-bar deck and a tone wood stash then, hell, you are a luthier! Don't be shy to share your ideas, or questions, and pictures of your work as you go.
cheers
Mark

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 am

Welcome to the forum Ricky. The first few builds can often be rough affairs but like you say you learn from your mistakes. Even more frustrating is when your first build turns out to be a decent effort but then the next few builds are absolute boats.
Martin

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Ricky, I look forward to seeing your builds.
kiwigeo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:16 am
Welcome to the forum Ricky. The first few builds can often be rough affairs but like you say you learn from your mistakes. Even more frustrating is when your first build turns out to be a decent effort but then the next few builds are absolute boats.
The curse of knowing just enough to stuff things up :D
Trent

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:46 am

Hi Ricky
Welcome, im in Auckland if that helps (but it might as well be Perth at the moment!!)
Speaking purely for myself, im still making plenty of mistakes on my builds some of which are repeats which can be a bit depressing but overall its a great hobby. The finish quality will improve, for sure.

All the best and sing out if i can help

Cheers
Richard

Ricky Kay
Gidgee

Post by Ricky Kay » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:45 pm

Thanks guys , I will have to learn how to post pictures on this thing , I try to make tools if l can because a lot of them are a ridiculous price for what they are, and I figure this leaves me money to get the things l can't make or don't have time to make .
The most expensive tool was the bandsaw , I bought the biggest one l could afford which is an 18.5 inch Ascent which works well for resawing . A smaller saw would be nice so I wouldn't have to change blades but need to find more room .
This weekend I'm meeting a guy with a stash of native timber , Pururi , Pohutakawa and Kauri ,so with a bit of luck he will have something l
can use . I'm always on the hunt for wood , another guy has said I can have some Jappanese Ash , I don't know if it will be any good for a guitar but I'll can't say no to free wood , it's a kind of addiction ,I think when the shed is full I might need to get some help . :lol:
My guitar was built from Walnut from a tree that grew in town here (Whitianga) ,Kauri soundboard from a 100 year old fishing boat ,Totara neck , Black Mairi fret board also from the boat and Wenge binding. The next guitar will be Wenge back and sides , l bought a set of bear claw spruce for the top , and I'm thinking of doing a one piece neck out of the Black Mairi.
Anyway I will work on posting some pictures.

Cheers Ricky.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:20 pm

Japanese Ash....used a bit for solid body electrics. Not sure about using the stuff in an acoustic.
Martin

mtodd
Wandoo

Post by mtodd » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:19 pm

Welcome Ricky. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your builds. I'm still working on my first guitar and its slow going.

Cheers,
Matt.