Bandsaw recommendations

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Snail
Wandoo

Bandsaw recommendations

Post by Snail » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Hi All,

I know this topic has been addressed previously, but given some recent changes in pricing and availability (I expect COVID related), I thought I would ask for updated advice.

I am thinking about getting a bandsaw. Having read a lot of the posts, a 14" seems to be the recommendation. It would only be used for building guitars (mostly, if not all acoustics). I have no plans to be re-sawing timber, but who knows, I might want to later? (and would probably consider it if I had the capacity). There doesn't seem to be a lot of options for second hand at the moment, and as I am in a non-metro area, getting it would be difficult (pick-up wouldn't really be an option without hiring a trailer). Previous post suggest the H&F BP-355, and it is currently on sale.

If you were just starting to set up a home workshop (I have previously built in a commercial wood shop), what would you purchase? Go for a better bandsaw, or save the difference and purchase a drum sander, jointer, thicknesser, etc? I am pretty well kitted out with hand tools (nice chisels and planes, fret press, luthier vice etc.).

The main contenders are:
1. Hare and Forbes BP-355 - $1,309 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W4224)
2. Sherwood 14in Plus Bandsaw - $1,579 (https://www.timbecon.com.au/sherwood-14in-plus-bandsaw)
3. Record Power BS350S Premium 14″ Bandsaw - $1,399 (https://mmvic.com.au/product/record-pow ... 4-bandsaw/)
4. Rikon 10-324TG 14" bandsaw - $1,599 (https://www.rikon.com.au/product/upgrad ... -by-rikon/)

Beyond that, it sees like about a $1,000 jump to the next tier of quality and/or size. Do you think the jump in price is worth it?

1. Harvey Ambassador C14 Bandsaw - $2,899 (https://gregmach.com/product/harvey-amb ... 4-bandsaw/)
2. Laguna 14BX CE Bandsaw - $2,575 (https://gregmach.com/product/laguna-14-bx-ce-bandsaw/)
3. Sherwood 14in Plus Bandsaw - $2,599 (https://www.timbecon.com.au/sherwood-14 ... ty-bandsaw)
4. Laguna 14/12 14 Bandsaw -$2,499 (https://mmvic.com.au/product/laguna-14- ... 14-twelve/)
5. Record Power BS400 16 Bandsaw - $2,099 (https://mmvic.com.au/product/record-pow ... 6-bandsaw/)
6. Hare and Forbes BP-430A - $2,585 (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W4330)

Thanks for any consideration and advice :)

Dan

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Bandsaw recommendations

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:59 pm

If light guitar work is all youll be doing then get a 14" and spend the spare cash on other stuff. If youre going to be doing stuff like re-sawing then go for a spec'ed up machine. I've been using a Carbatec 14" machine I bought 20 years ago...I stuck a better fence and guides on the machine and its done good service.
Martin

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:33 pm

I had the smaller Record you mention. It was crap.

What do you need a saw for? If you plan to resaw, spend as much as you can afford. But if you don't, my preference is actually for the small bandsaws of which I've had a few. Smaller than the ones you list. They tend to be a bit stiffer than the BS350 size. I've found them more reliable. I've had Delta, Record, and Axminster. The one I have just now I got from SEQLD Woodworking in Beenleigh. It would normally be considered a toy, but it's fine for guitar making. And I'm making professionally. They also sell saws by Hismen, which look about as good as you can get from China. If I could find one, I'd get a small Inca bandsaw. They are superb, but only to be found second hand.

Because I don't resaw and use a tablesaw for anything that needs accuracy, all I need is the ability to cut 120mm so I can cut sides to length.

So, in summary - if you want to resaw, buy the best you can afford. I know a chap who resaws with his Laguna, but it is expensive. If you don't want to resaw, and by the looks of it, you don't, and plan to get a decent table saw, don't waste your money. Buy the smallest you can get away with.

nkforster
Blackwood

Post by nkforster » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:51 pm

Just to add - the machine shop set up I have now is the best I've had in over 30 years and it's still pretty basic -

10" table saw
6" jointer
Linisher
600mm wide twin drum sander
Spindle moulder
Disc sander
Small bandsaw
Drill press
Bobbin sander
3 routers set into one table
multiple laminate trimmers
2 x 2.5hp dust extractors

There isn't much I'd change.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:19 pm

Heres my two cents worth.

First, i have that BS355 bandsaw, bought it 5 or 6 years ago when we moved to a house with a double garage and could set up a better workshop. Its ok. Can be very noisy with bigger blades but everything works. Ive just changed the guide bearings as the two big bottom ones had seized up. No idea why as they are sealed but i bought the exact same bearings for a few bucks and it was all fixed in 5 minutes. Before that i had a 150mm throat depth by 350 width, a bit smaller but built the first guitars.

One thing about bandsaws is they are very versatile and i use it for all sorts of things other than building guitars.

Having said all that most of the time i could get away with a really small one so Nigel makes a good point. I got a second hand H&F table saw for $250 and i use that at least as much as the bandsaw.

Good luck
Richard

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:29 pm

I am just about to buy the Laguna 14BX. Just waiting on stock to arrive at Carbatec. I have been using the Laguna 14CE at the school's workshop for the last five years and would buy that model except I like the brake and have convinced myself the extra horses and one-piece frame is worth the extra $$.
Trent

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:31 pm

I have an Axminster saw similar to the Record one you listed, it was cheap and is still running quite well. The downside of cheap is setting it up accurately, getting it to run smooth and parallel to the fence is an issue occasionally.

If the opportunity cost of buying a better bandsaw is forgoing a drum sander then I would advise you to go for a cheaper model. My drum sander is great for thicknessing absolutely everything on a guitar, I wouldn't even attempt to build an acoustic without it these days.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:19 pm

Both of my bandsaws are 14s, my laguna is my higher end one and I use it solely for resawing, my every day bandsaw is I think called a sherpa (hare and forbes budget bandsaw) its okay, nothing flash, does what it needs to do
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:51 am

I agree with the discussion so far. If you decide not to resaw then you can get by with a cheaper band-saw. I have a lower spec 14" Hafco from H&F. I think it is the BP-360. It does everything I need, quite adequately. A friend and neighbor has a very flash Laguna which I could beg the use of if I needed but I have never bothered - which convinces me that I actually don't need better than what I have.

Alan makes a good point that a drum sander is more of a game changer in guitar building than a better bandsaw. If you don't have one already you might want to spend your money on that and compromise on the saw.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:36 am

If you're going for a drum sander then don't forget a dust extractor becomes mandatory and should be costed into the equation.
Martin

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:20 am

I have an Inca, purchased from Garret Wade Melbourne in 1993, and as Nigel said it is a superb small bandsaw, especially with the Inca bandsaw blades. It did all my mandolin work and more for 16 years, and it is still doing it. Even re-sawed 2 Jarrah mandolin sets. Had to take it slow and careful, but it did the job. Some people did not believe me that I cut it on the Inca. Available second hand only, they are not making them any more, but reconditioned ones do come up for sale on the Inca web site. Only problem with that is you need to transport it from France, but IMHO well worth the trouble and expense in the long run if you are serious and looking at the long term. Mine will be for sale only after I kick the bucket, and I am keeping the foot well away from the bucket so it is staying where it is. Best (and first) thing I ever bought, although it was expensive and a struggle to pay for it at the time. I made a wooden stand for it and can throw it into the back of the Outback still bolted to the stand if I need to use it elsewhere. I did that when restoring a wooden boat in the shed on our other property. When we moved to Bega I bought a Hammer N4400, made by Felder. A brute of a thing with 4HP motor that needs a 15amp power supply, and the lights dim when I switch it on. I use that mostly for re-sawing guitar and mandolin backs, and for sawing anything that needs the grunt. I don't use it much, it is not as accurate nor as smooth as the Inca, but when the grunt is needed it does the job. My Inca does the vast bulk of sawing, and has been used every day I am in the workshop since December 1993.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Snail
Wandoo

Post by Snail » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:52 am

Thanks All,

I really appreciate your advice, and willingness to share your experience and expertise.

A cheaper H&F bandsaw it is (and a drum sander). If I do need to have something resawn, I always can get that done in a pinch (and a drive).

I spoke to H&F earlier this morning.

Just for information (if people are interested), the difference between the BP-360 and the BP-355 is mostly the motor - 1.5HP vs 2HP. Suggested the larger motor if I was cutting a lot of thicker hardwood (I wont be). Most other things are only marginally different. Apparently the BP-355 is made in a different factory as well. I got the impression that the BP-355 might be a little better in terms of finish - but that may have just been sales talk. He also mentioned they sell a lot of the BP-355 to men's sheds and they hold up to the abuse - that was definitely sales talk ;)

Thanks again.

Dan

Snail
Wandoo

Post by Snail » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 am

Thanks Peter,

I did see you previous post about the Inca bandsaw. I have been looking (given your recommendation) . They seemed to be highly regarded and don't come up for sale often (or at least whilst I have been looking).

Glad to hear you are staying away from that bucket ;)

TallDad71
Blackwood

Post by TallDad71 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:28 pm

+1 for Martins comment on dust extraction.
Without it your workshop will fill up completely in minutes.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

nicco
Sassafras

Post by nicco » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:00 pm

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me jumping into the same thread. I'm also looking for a bandsaw of the same size as Snail, between the H&F BP355, the Sherwood 14" Plus and the Carbatec equivalent.

I've not found many reviews on the different saws, does anyone have experience with three Sherwood compared to the others? It's the one I'm leaning to at the moment, but it's probably just the marketing spin sucking me in!

David Stiles
Sassafras

Post by David Stiles » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:24 pm

I bought the BP355 and it has been really good for me. More heavily built that the BO360 and that's a good thing. Only issue is lower guide bearings needed replacement exactly as someone else experienced.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:40 am

My first bandsaw was a Carbatec 14 inch that I needed to change all the guide bearings on after a couple of years, I still have that machine and run a small blade on it for cutting small work and contouring. The other bandsaw is the 3hp Laguna 14lt which runs on single phase and has ceramic guides which I think are fantastic, after 8 years of some really heavy work those guides have absolutely no sign of any wear, I mainly use this saw for bigger sections, I’ve even milled a few logs on it.
Has two extraction ports which I think is important for a machine of this capability, I think the Kaguna is worth the spend.
Cheers
Rod
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Snail
Wandoo

Post by Snail » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:09 am

I just wanted to let you all know I took your advice and purchased the 14 inch Hare and Forbes. I was waiting until it got here to provide an update, but it is taking longer than I hoped.

Either way, I just wanted to thank you, and let you know your advice was acted on :)

mak009
Wandoo

Post by mak009 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:05 am

Hi- a bit late but the following might be useful
I too have a Hafco BP255. With the stock 12.5mm blade I found it useless on anything other than thin ply-the blade wanders regardless of tension settings.
So I got a local shop to weld up a 16mm/.9mm 4tpi German steel blade. It does overhang the pulleys but it cuts like a dream-dead straight with no tracking issues. A bit noisy but it works.

Snail
Wandoo

Post by Snail » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:31 am

Not too late - thanks for the tip!

mak009
Wandoo

Post by mak009 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:48 am

I should add a safety caveat- 16mm is oversize for the machine. As I see it the worst that could happen is the blade comes of the pulley. As long as the doors are closed this should be ok.
But-stuff happens...........