What happens when you die?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

What happens when you die?

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:37 pm

I recently moved my entire stash of wood into a new store room recently. While lugging the piles of wood I had a thought...what will happen to all the wood and my workshop full of tools if I die tomorrow? My wife would be left with the task of offloading the contents of my workshop plus all the wood.

Have any you made plans for what happens to your wood and tools if you die? Food for thought and discussion.
Martin

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: What happens when you die?

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:09 am

LOL..no replies? Ive obviously got you all thinking :D
Martin

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:10 am

All my wood and unfinished instruments become designer firewood. All my tools go to the local mens shed.

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:35 pm

Well I must admit at turning 70 next year I have had these thoughts regard what to do with the stash and the hand tools. After ten years working with my friend teaching him to play guitar and build three guitars I have decided that he will get all the hand tools. The stash is well cataloged and my mates will take care of selling it for my wife on here at what the wood cost me. There are 16 sets left and 16 tops. Three weiss sets and heaps of Ukulele sets made up of mainly off cuts. This has been a collection over twenty years and I love all my tools and wood to be able to express myself musically and create some nice instruments. So yes, I don't like thinking about it but the time is slowly running out to make 20 odd more guitars but I will give it a good go. As you may know I had a setback in my health about 7 years ago and a pacemaker has given me back my life. I live each day to build in the workshop spend time with my wife and Grandson. What more do you need.
Cheers Al
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:40 pm

Andos wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:10 am
All my wood and unfinished instruments become designer firewood.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Martin

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:26 pm

The missus is pretty damn ruthless. Especially when she sees the chance of being able to park the car back in the garage.

Dave M
Blackwood

Post by Dave M » Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:02 am

Yes we could do with a sort of 'luthiers executor' who could be trusted to get fair value for this stuff.

I think for not particularly organized people like me getting the instrument timber recognized for what it is rather than any old stuff would be important given that I have a fair bit of other timber in the rafters.

Best not to die too soon I reckon!
------------------
Dave

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:17 pm

Dave M wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:02 am
Best not to die too soon I reckon!
LOL....my original post popped into my head while I was lying in bed with an attack of uncontrollable shakes after my first covid shot the other day.
Martin

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:00 pm

I've had 2 occasions where I was the first one called to come look at a post mortem stash. In the 1st case, the wife had all the catalogs in hand and priced every used tool and material at the new list price. No sale there. In the 2nd case the hubby had gone on so much about his stash being like gold that the missus rather thought it was gold. No sale there either. I never looked back, so I have no idea what actually happened in the end, but I'll bet it went for a song. I'm just not the type to try to bargain with anyone in that situation. So, I'd say don't fret about it. Go easy on your mate. You won't live to regret it anyway. Me, I plan to take it all with me!--Bob

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:05 pm

Bob Gleason wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:00 pm
Me, I plan to take it all with me!--Bob
That's going to be one huge coffin the bury you in!!
Martin

seeaxe
Blackwood

Post by seeaxe » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:08 pm

Well if you get enough warning you can use the spare wood stash to knock up a coffin. Just make sure you get big enough falcate braces under the lid :mrgreen:

I've got two sons, im sure they will sort it out one way or another. I dont have that much wood anyway. Going to do my best to use it all up but there's bound to be some odd and sods left over. I dont think ill spend any time worrying about.
Richard

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:55 am

seeaxe wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:08 pm
Well if you get enough warning you can use the spare wood stash to knock up a coffin. Just make sure you get big enough falcate braces under the lid :mrgreen:
Don't forget the tap and Chladni testing for the coffin top...standard procedure when a member of The Gore Army gets laid to rest.
Martin