Falcate Bracing question

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Redbloke1956
Beefwood

Falcate Bracing question

Post by Redbloke1956 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi all, can anyone tell me why “The Primary braces overlay the Bridge plate and MUST BE assembled with the bridge plate USING THE SAME RESIN MIX”?

johnparchem
Blackwood

Re: Falcate Bracing question

Post by johnparchem » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:39 am

The CF tow for the primary braces passes under the bridge plate. The primary braces are clamped on to the tow during the open time of the epoxy used to glue down the tow.
Last edited by johnparchem on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:02 pm

LOL....I've been gluing in the bridge plate/CF sandwich and primary braces as separate operations. I've been running the tow over top of the bridge plate. I obviously missed the relevant instruction in the The Book. Haven't had any issues so far.
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:15 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:02 pm
LOL....I've been gluing in the bridge plate/CF sandwich and primary braces as separate operations. I've been running the tow over top of the bridge plate. I obviously missed the relevant instruction in the The Book. Haven't had any issues so far.
I do the same and instruct the students to do it this way too.
Although i i'm not useing CF in the bridge plate at all. INstead 2mm thick maple or rosewood glued with titebond. CF and primary falcates all go over the top.