Voicing a Soundboard

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

TallDad71
Blackwood

Voicing a Soundboard

Post by TallDad71 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:58 am

I know its a dark art and I know that there are no answers but ......... I want an answer. :D

I have build a soundboard with standard X-Brace spruce. I am pretty near my optimal point but I have an anomaly that I can't quite make sense of. The X is scalloped, as opposed to tapered with peaks around 70mm from the edge, this seems to give favourable results on previous builds. If I hold the left peak with a long clamp and tap the board I get lots of lovely and varied tones.

I deduce that this peak is happy acting as a node, which is good as it has more wood.

If I hold the other peak, the one that the tone bars emanate from, with a long wood clamp, nada, nothing, just a few dull thumps.

So I deduce that this spot is unhappy acting as a node, which is a shame as there is a lot of spruce mounting up around this point.

So I have there choices for a remedy, which would you advise?
1) If it doesn't like being still, remove some material to allow that section to vibrate a little more
2) Move material from other braces and see if that makes a more evenly responsive soundboard
3) Accept that bashing a loose board with your finger is a poor substitute for strings on a completed guitar and that it will probably be ok.
Alan
Peregrine Guitars

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Re: Voicing a Soundboard

Post by Steve.Toscano » Wed May 05, 2021 8:38 am

In my opinion - "3".

But if you are wanting to play around and experiment why dont you try 1, and 2.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed May 05, 2021 9:48 am

I'd throw some tea leaves on the sound board and do some Chladni testing to visualize whats going.
Martin

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Wed May 05, 2021 10:06 am

Chladni testing will give you lots of interesting information, but the difficult part is how to interpret it. How do the patterns correlate to the sound of the completed guitar? If you do get into that stuff I would highly recommend Alan Carruth's video. Otherwise "3", and read the Gore/Gilet books.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com