Glue squeeze out

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

KreherGuitars
Beefwood

Glue squeeze out

Post by KreherGuitars » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 pm

I’m getting ready to glue my bridge down soon. I did a French polish on my soundboard and that went relatively well for my first attempt. I’m not really interested in ruining what I have, so I ask you now for advice on gluing down the bridge and cleaning up the glue. I intend on using titebond. I know Shellac doesn’t like water and I know this is a water based glue and I know I will have to clean up the squeeze out with presumably water. I’m used to doing it with a wet paper towel. Will this work?

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Glue squeeze out

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:08 pm

If the shellac has been on for a week or two it will be hard and can handle a wipe with a damp towel. I sometimes put some low tack masking tape on the soundboard immediately around the bridge to catch some of the squeeze out....but make sure the FP is hard if you're doing this.
KreherGuitars wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:54 pm
I’m getting ready to glue my bridge down soon. I did a French polish on my soundboard and that went relatively well for my first attempt. I’m not really interested in ruining what I have, so I ask you now for advice on gluing down the bridge and cleaning up the glue. I intend on using titebond. I know Shellac doesn’t like water and I know this is a water based glue and I know I will have to clean up the squeeze out with presumably water. I’m used to doing it with a wet paper towel. Will this work?
Martin

KreherGuitars
Beefwood

Re: Glue squeeze out

Post by KreherGuitars » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Thanks man! I will be sure to give it plenty of time to fully cure then I will use a damp rag. Not too wet. This eases my mind.