Grants

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Grants

Post by Steve.Toscano » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:01 pm

Yo. Im currently going through the process of getting a government grant.
Anyone else gone through this successfully?
Anyone interested in banding together and applying as a group of totally awesome guitar makers ? :lol:

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Re: Grants

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:24 am

I have gone through the process and was unsuccessful, and the reason given why was unsuccessful I thought was really stupid. It took so much time and effort that I will never ever apply for a grant ever again. It is a lottery. Way too many applicants, not enough money.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:28 pm

People often pay others to advise on applying for a grant.....this suggests there's a problem with the whole process. My best advice....move to Peter Dutton's electorate and then give ol' Pete a call :mrgreen:
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:37 pm

I did one for the Cairns Woodworkers Guild that was successful.

So much work that as far as I'm concerned it wasn't worth it.

So many revisions, clarifications, dealing with too many people that continually move and totally change goal posts, only to be sent back to the original person and they saying that everyone else is wrong and to continue as I was. Then running up against the others that said the orignial person is no longer in that dept......You get the idea.

You also have to have your brain wired like a pencil pushing bureaucrat with totally useless Uni degrees that has never worked in anything productive in their entire life. Got to include all the politically correct talking points interspersed in the application in order to tick all the boxes.

Life is way too short to go through that again.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

asgilbert
Blackwood

Post by asgilbert » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:50 pm

Hi Steve,

We were successful in manufacturing. Applied for it on grounds of completely hands free manufacture process for a part of our production and totally paperless workshop. Got the former, not the latter.

It is a lot of work. We have a fulltime accountant who put it together and also used a consultant that cost ~$7k

I am not sure what you are looking at claiming for, but it is a heap of work.

Cheers
Andrew

lamanoditrento
Blackwood

Post by lamanoditrento » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 am

Possibly interested, but this may be because I don't really understand the question. Grant to do what? I am pretty time poor at moment but hopefully that will change shortly.
Trent

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 am

lamanoditrento wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:26 am
Grant to do what?
How's the beer fridge looking? :mrgreen:
Martin

Steve.Toscano
Blackwood

Post by Steve.Toscano » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:57 pm

Thanks all.
The grant that's being looked at (through a 3rd party mind you) is around manufacturing and job creation. Very, very early days yet.
I dont really want to delve into details here.
A few key prerequisites that apologies i wasnt too clear with, some of them have only just come to my attention today:

Must be a company
Must employ staff (not just yourself).
There would be some upfront expenditure (circa $3-5k) post approval, pre receipt of funds to cover cost of the application writing, $0 if not approved.

If you are keen hit up the contact form on my website and i'll email you more details in due course.

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:33 pm

Allen wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:37 pm
You also have to have your brain wired like a pencil pushing bureaucrat with totally useless Uni degrees that has never worked in anything productive in their entire life. Got to include all the politically correct talking points interspersed in the application in order to tick all the boxes.
I'm always happy to help out - sounds like I have plenty of the requisite skills!

Seriously, I have worked in government prior to retirement and would be happy to have a look and provide suggestions for any forum member looking at putting submissions together.
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 pm

Allen wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:37 pm
I currently work for a branch of Government... You just described a blissfully normal ordinary day. A day where nothing goes wrong, and the only problem is dealing with the "totally useless Uni degrees"... Ahhhh... Sheer bliss I tell you!

And then things go wrong... and the Uni degrees want to get in on that too... And we need to deal with the normal pencil pushing too... It's a shame that things-go-wrong days are 95% of days.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -