Resawing in/near Auckland

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nikolav
Gidgee

Resawing in/near Auckland

Post by nikolav » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Happy New Year guys
Today I obtained a pretty thick piece (600 mm x 500 mm x 65 mm) of spalted alder and I want to slice part of it by say 5 mm slabs for laminating and use as a top for bodies.
Is there anyone that can help with this near Auckland, or point me in the right direction? I'm happy to pay for the service.

seeaxe
Blackwood

Re: Resawing in/near Auckland

Post by seeaxe » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:03 am

You would need a proper sawmill for that if you want your pieces 500 wide. I think the one at Matakana still has the mill there but last time i passed, it looked like they have shut up shop. Worth a try maybe. Otherwise try Cypress sawmill at Waitoki.

If you want the laminates for guitars then its more usual to book match them with a central join. For that you can rip the piece into two 250 wide pieces. They will then go through most bandsaws (including mine).

Assume you are talking solid body guitars. I wouldnt use that as an acoustic top wood.

Good luck.
Richard

nikolav
Gidgee

Re: Resawing in/near Auckland

Post by nikolav » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:32 pm

Hi Richard
I'll give Matakana sawmill a call. Their website is down, so looks like they've been shut indeed. Cypress sawmill is relatively close to my place, so I checked with them first, but they can't help.
Bookmatching was my plan B, and I was even considering trying this on my table saw. But I think I found someone who can help with up to 540 mm cuts, so I'll give this guy a try.

Cheers,
Nick