Ancient Kauri

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Gleason

Ancient Kauri

Post by Bob Gleason » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:53 pm

I build a few ukes in Hawaii. I was recently gifted some modern Kauri wood. I was planning on using it as a top on a koa tenor uke, but I have read some things about using it with Ancient Kauri B/S. Kind of spiked my curiosity. I have looked a bit for some Ancient Kauri, but for good reason it is not easy to find. I suppose, like curly koa, it is a very diminishing resource. Is it noticeably harder wood than modern Kauri! This modern Kauri I have seems kind of soft for backs and sides. Thanks, Bob
Attachments
T11 copy.jpeg
T21.jpeg

Andos
Blackwood

Re: Ancient Kauri

Post by Andos » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:05 pm

Swamp kauri is what you're after. There is some on trademe atm. Or try the smaller Northland sawmills. I hope you have deep pockets!!

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:46 am

A curly koa uke set can be $300.00+ these days, so the cost of all nice wood is going through the roof. I have sold koa sets, or used to anyway, for almost 40 years and can remember when nice curly guitar sets were $50.00-$75.00. When I first started cutting koa from left over logging stumps, I was paying 19 cents a b.f. . These days that stump access is long gone, and if I can even get nice curly, it is $100.00+ a b.f. I expect the swamp Kauri to be expensive too. Enjoy your building.-Bob

Andos
Blackwood

Post by Andos » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Kauri is really quite a boring wood compared to koašŸ„±
This is the only seller of swamp kauri instrument wood I know of.
http://www.rarefind.co.nz/gallery3/var/ ... 1532400167
I'm only new to this game and I'm to scared of stuffing up to buy from this guy. When I'm more confident of my abilities I'll pay him a serious visit!

Bob Gleason

Post by Bob Gleason » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:17 am

That looks like the modern Kauri I have. Some of the Swamp Kauri I have seen photos of have what is called a "whitebait" or "curly" look and it was pretty spectacular. That's what I'd like to try to find to combine with my very plain modern Kauri. One of many projects that may never happen! I spent a month on the South Island a some years ago. At that time I did not know much about Swamp Kauri. I did look for some Kauri wood, but never found it.