Baritone Ukulele

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob_H
Blackwood

Baritone Ukulele

Post by Bob_H » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi - just sharing my fourth ukulele - a blackwood baritone with a sitka spruce top and jarah fretboard and bindings. After initial problems with the side bending, things have progressed fairly well. I have some issues with the top, where I have two problems:

1. There appears to be some subsidence between the bracing, which translates to some unevenness in the top and some light patches over the braces after sanding. Is this usual with sitka?

2. Some gaps between between the grain lines after sanding - as if the thin darker lines have "dropped" in places, leaving odd patches where the surface is ridged.

I haven't had this problem with other woods - is it a sitka spruce thing?
Attachments
IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Baritone Ukulele

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:49 am

If you have used a fan bracing pattern and there are "dips" between them, then my experience is that you have taken the top just a bit too thin. I had this problem on earlier instruments until I tried going with slightly heavier soundboard and lighter bracing.

I'm not sure what you are refering to in your second comment. I use a lot of sitka and this doesn't sound like anything I've experienced.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:46 am

I'm with Allen with the inter-brace sinking of the top. How thin is the top? How stiff is the Sitka?
Re sanding out softer grain.....this can happen if you don't sand using a block and/or you're applying too much pressure during sanding. Your top wood looks like the grain is fairly coarse so this might also add to the "issue". If you look at a french polished top where the finish is very thin you can often see a subtle ridging due to the softer grain being a bit lower than the harder grain.
Martin

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:07 am

Thanks - the top is fairly light (1.75 mm) and the Sitka is fairly coarse and not particularly stiff. I will try to keep an eye on this. I suspect the coarseness and perhaps heavy handed sanding may have contributed to patches of ridging- thanks again
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:13 am

1.75mm is getting in the thin side.

Bob_H wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:07 am
Thanks - the top is fairly light (1.75 mm) and the Sitka is fairly coarse and not particularly stiff. I will try to keep an eye on this. I suspect the coarseness and perhaps heavy handed sanding may have contributed to patches of ridging- thanks again
Martin

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:38 am

I would never go below 2.0 on a Baritone top.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob_H
Blackwood

Post by Bob_H » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:10 pm

Thanks again - I need to read my instructions more closely - Graham McDonald, whose book I have been referring to, agrees that a 2mm final thickness for the baritone top is desireble. I had been working to the tenor specifications, which described a 1.75 mm soundboard.
Bob Holbert
Lyndoch