Tracing difficulty

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Jules93
Gidgee

Tracing difficulty

Post by Jules93 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:53 am

Hey guys,
I’ve been watching the Stew Mac tracing guitar shape video And I want to make a copy of my tanglewood folk small jumbo however mine is a cutaway and I want to build one without a cutaway is there a better technique to trace just the left side which obviously doesn’t have the cutaway?

Also it has a pickup system with the battery pack/ eq controls on the outside

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Tracing difficulty

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:34 am

I just run a pencil flattened on one side (tape wrapped around pencil to stop exposed lead rubbing onto side) around the side onto a piece of paper. Any irregularites get tidied up either free hand or with aid of a French curve.
Jules93 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:53 am
Hey guys,
I’ve been watching the Stew Mac tracing guitar shape video And I want to make a copy of my tanglewood folk small jumbo however mine is a cutaway and I want to build one without a cutaway is there a better technique to trace just the left side which obviously doesn’t have the cutaway?

Also it has a pickup system with the battery pack/ eq controls on the outside
Martin

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Re: Tracing difficulty

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:17 pm

Yep, like Martin said, the trusty half-a-pencil - and mirror image one side to get the other. If the pickup control box is in the way just leave a gap for that bit and I am sure you will be able to fill it in later.